+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exhcange: Sending and Recieving with Google? in Technical; Hi, We have a new exchange server. It has a real internet IP and is in our DMZ (Windows fully ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exhcange: Sending and Recieving with Google?

Hi,

We have a new exchange server. It has a real internet IP and is in our DMZ (Windows fully updated and firewall on). The accounts appear to be recieving e-mail - which is good, but...

When I test sending and recieving I get nothing. I send from my Gmail account to my Exchange inbox and nothing appears. I send from my Exchange account to my Gmail inbox and nothing appears.

We have our own DNS server on the same subnet that hosts the Exchange servers A record and MX record. Nslookup from the internet responds with the correct IP for the exchange server.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks
    Last edited by tmcd35; 21st March 2014 at 08:10 AM.

Thank Post
    test SMTP operations using Telnet: How To Test Exchange SMTP operations using Telnet

3. Thanks to ardvark from:

tmcd35 (26th March 2014)

Thank Post
    Have you configured the send/receive connectors for Exchange? See Send Connectors: Exchange 2013 Help

Have you also configured the mx record for your domain to actually point to your Exchange server? You mention you've installed Exchange, but not if you've completed any of the additional steps to have it route/receive email externally.

Thank Post
    Have you configured the send/receive connectors for Exchange? See Send Connectors: Exchange 2013 Help

Have you also configured the mx record for your domain to actually point to your Exchange server? You mention you've installed Exchange, but not if you've completed any of the additional steps to have it route/receive email externally.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sorry @Soulfish, didn't see your reply sooner. Too busy battling printers and Internet connections!

Here's where I'm at for any body who finds this thread experiencing similar issues -

Send Connector - Scope needs to be * for all extrernal domain - not the name of your own domain (could only send mail to itself)

Recieve Connector - FQDN/HELO/220 - needs to respond with the external FQDN of the server not the internal FQDN (mailserver.myschool.norfolk.sch.uk NOT mailserver.mydomain.local)

DNS - A PTR record is needed to varify the validity of the MX record. Not 100% strictly required but other mailservers (google) may not like sending mail to an unknown host it can't varify through reverse DNS. This is currently with our ISP (RM Broadband) since I can't set up PTR records for out Public IP range on our Public DNS server.

This site - MX Lookup Tool - Check your DNS MX Records online - MxToolbox - was a god send in sending me in the right direction!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry @Soulfish, didn't see your reply sooner. Too busy battling printers and Internet connections!

Here's where I'm at for any body who finds this thread experiencing similar issues -

Send Connector - Scope needs to be * for all extrernal domain - not the name of your own domain (could only send mail to itself)

Recieve Connector - FQDN/HELO/220 - needs to respond with the external FQDN of the server not the internal FQDN (mailserver.myschool.norfolk.sch.uk NOT mailserver.mydomain.local)

DNS - A PTR record is needed to varify the validity of the MX record. Not 100% strictly required but other mailservers (google) may not like sending mail to an unknown host it can't varify through reverse DNS. This is currently with our ISP (RM Broadband) since I can't set up PTR records for out Public IP range on our Public DNS server.

This site - http://mxtoolbox.com/ - was a god send in sending me in the right direction!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread