+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, DPM Individual Folder Backup in Technical; Hi folks, Using DPM 2012 SP1. A teacher has requested that two specific students have their folders backup up with ...
    Thank Post

Question DPM Individual Folder Backup

Hi folks,

Using DPM 2012 SP1.

A teacher has requested that two specific students have their folders backup up with a retention of 18 months - the problem is that they regularly delete work (photography course) that they might need at a future date, and they're only 6 months into the course.

I have setup protection groups before and not had an issue, and in this case the whole drive for this server is protected already, albeit on a 60 day retention.

I am trying to create a new protection group for these two folders, and at the "Select Group Members" stage DPM is saying I need to "select the check boxes in the Available members section." I have expanded both the shares, or more usefully the All Volumes section, but there are no checkboxes. I'm seeing the checkboxes for only one or two servers, which may well be servers that are only backed up at a VM level.

Am I unable to select these servers because they're already being backed up in a different protection group, albeit with different retention?

If so, is there any way can I use DPM to backup these two folders with 18 months retention?

TIA

Thank Post
    You may be able to do it by sharing the folders just for this purpose and selecting them (not tried this) otherwise it's usually volume, VM or database level backups

3. Thanks to ChrisH from:

Gongalong (3rd March 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 984 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Am I unable to select these servers because they're already being backed up in a different protection group, albeit with different retention?

Yes. Content can only be backed up with one protection group. I've hit this before when trying to get certain data included in the tape backups of another protection group.

@ChrisH's suggestion might work, or you might have to set up a scheduled task to robocopy those folders to a different location, then back the new location up with a new protection group meeting the requirements.

5. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Gongalong (3rd March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread