Enterprise Software Thread, Account lockout caused by exchange server in Technical; Hi All,
Ok I've got a user who keeps getting locked out, I've ran a PowerShell script which tell me ...
11th February 2014, 01:46 PM #1
Account lockout caused by exchange server
Ok I've got a user who keeps getting locked out, I've ran a PowerShell script which tell me that the exchange server caused the lockout. is there anyway i can find which devices are connecting to exchange for this user so i can update password on the device. as i suspect the user has changed her password and it is cached somewhere.
Its a 2010 Exchanged.
11th February 2014, 01:51 PM #2
If it's an internal device they'll be a record in the security event log of the exchange server that shows the device name.
IIRC activesync won't show this. And external devices will show the firewall/publishing device as the machine locking the account.
It's also possible they've ticked the 'remember my password' option in outlook on a device, which in vista and above will mean the credential is stored in control panel>credentials manager
15th February 2014, 09:44 PM #3
check activesync device against that user. Will tell you how many and what devices are connected for that mailbox.
By andyturpie in forum Enterprise Software
Last Post: 30th October 2011, 01:42 AM
By albertwt in forum Enterprise Software
Last Post: 23rd February 2011, 10:21 PM
By Gordie in forum Windows
Last Post: 16th March 2006, 09:57 AM
By woody in forum Windows
Last Post: 21st August 2005, 05:52 PM
By tarquel in forum Windows
Last Post: 4th July 2005, 01:56 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)