Am hoping that someone has had a similar problem and ant point me towards a solution (Although i feel like i have tried pretty much everything at the moment!)
I am getting a lot of failed backups, primarily when going from BackuptoDisk to Tape. We have a Tandberg Storage Loader 2 and just recently had to swap out the tape drive as it became faulty (Although we were getting some of these errors before) now i can get about 3 jobs to run and then i will just get a succession of failures.
All revolve around the error message
E00084ED - A hardware error has occurred / Backup Device Errors
E00084C8 - The Backup Storage device has failed / Backup Device Errors
Any help with this will be much appreciated as i am literally having to nurse this backup system day and night to try and gradually eek the backups onto tape so we have some secure data in case of failures.
I had contacted Tandberg who were very helpful and arranged the swap out of the internal tape drive under warranty but now they think that they have done their job and although i am almost certain this is still a hardware issue they are wriggling.
Yup... hardware issue. Backup exec doesn't usually fuss.
We have a sony AIT4 robotic library and it is coming to the end of it's life. We see lots of errors and the drive just seems to go offline. I would keep plugging away and Tandberg.
It might be worth seeing if anyone can lend you another device to try with.
Cheers, i dont know anyone locally that has one i could borrow from, i have just sent Tandberg the memory dump from the device and i guess i will just have to wait and see what they come back with. As it is they annoyed me as the replacement internal tape drive was a reconditioned one lol. It is so frustrating as i am sure you can imagine as if we get a server failure and there are no backups who are they going to look at!!
Absolutely. We've been in a bit of a pickle with backups recently. We had issues with the tape drive, so we didn't get the end of term off to tape, we've then had a drive failure in the raid which meant we had to rebuild the raid, lose some data and recover it from tape which has meant a couple of days didn't back up at all... Nervous times!