+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Veeam One - Require some info . in Technical; Interested in purchasing this for a few of our backup servers . We currently run Vmware Esxi / vsphere and ...

Thank Post

Veeam One - Require some info .

Interested in purchasing this for a few of our backup servers .

We currently run Vmware Esxi / vsphere and are running around 15 vms . We use Vmwares "vmware data recovery" software for weekly backups to our NAS ( This excludes drives within Vm's which store large quanity of files such as profiles , my documents etc ) .

For files we currently use backup exec 10 , which basically backups up the file directory's to External hard disks in caddy's.

Also once a week it also copys the VM's from the NAS to a single hard disk in the hard disk caddy .

Im thinking about migrating every backup program to a single solution such as veeam one but would like to know the following .

1.) is it easy to restore single or multiple files from within a VM to a external location ( such as if i wanted to restore some ones my documents )

2.) As we do daily backups on our file directorys , can this be done on Veeam ? or would i have to do differentials on the whole VM and not a single drive ?

Hopefully some one here can help me out a bit please

Thank Post
    Answer 1 - Yes, it's very easy to restore to an external location.

Answer 2 - Not sure about that one. I do differentials on the whole server rather than individual folders. Google will probably be your friend here.

Thank Post
    Veeam Backup and replication can do all of that I think. With v7 you can do either a file backup or a vm backup, and you can pick which drives you want backed up/excluded as well. Each vm can be backed up by multiple jobs if required.

I would backup the whole vm, as you can restore individual files from a vm backup if needed, and then you have the whole vm backed up if you need to recover the whole thing. Its pretty easy once you know how. Much nicer than backup exec.

Veeam 7 also includes backup copy jobs and tape loader support if thats any use. I've just changed our offsite backup to a backup copy job so it isn't snapshot-ing the VMs 3 times a night, only 2. Our backup is over our internet connection though. We don't use external harddrives.

I believe file backup is a bit slow in v7. File backup to tape is. I've not tried to disk. Its supposed to be improved in the next version. This is because the system is designed to backup a relatively small number of large files. Backing up existing backup files to tape and to other storage is pretty fast.

There is a free version, and I believe they support it through the trial period if you have any issues.

Thank Post
    Where do you backup offsite to?

Thank Post
    Not sure if that was aimed at me or not, but we back up to a nas box at our partner school. We will hopefully have a similar arrangement for them soon.

Thank Post
    I use Veeam here for disk backups and its just so fast. If I moved into a new job the very first thing I would do would be to order Veeam.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread