Hello Everyone,

I have been doing quite a bit of research on this topic, but I can't seem to find much information on the educational side. I'm working on a project to migrate a school district from LanDesk 9.0 to SCCM 2012 R2 in a de-centralized IT environment. We have the infrastructure CAS with two primary servers along with a string of other MP/SUP/DP servers running and clients installed in about 80% of the workstation clients (85k so far). Things appear to be going smoothly so far, but we are just getting into the fun stuff, trying to figure out how to organize a logical and functional collection structure that school techs can utilize.

I'm wondering what other folks in similar educational environment mid-size to large have encountered? Do you mimic AD structure to a point? How are you differentiating from instructor machine and student machine? Do you create collections for each classroom lab or all together at once? Leveraging user targeting for software deployment or not?

We re-searched the idea of copying AD's structure but it seemed too inefficient and seemed like it could pose an issue in the performance for SCCM. Right now we have 5~6 folders separating over 200 collections based on whether they are high schools, middle, elementary, etc....