I am trying to restore a students work from a tape backup on the 4th October. Thankfully it is no longer required BUT I have to be able to restore from tape as part of any decent DR.
I have never actually had to resore from tape before but I have done a variety of restore from disks in the past, which were successful.
I am getting this error message:
File copy failed due to an I/O error.
Source location: C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\Temp\7c0c302d-690d-46e4-955f-fd3357e4f0b4.
Destination location: \\BackupServerName\MTATempStore$\7c0c302d-690d-46e4-955f-fd3357e4f0b4.
(Access to the path ‘\\BackupServerName\MTATempStore$\7c0c302d-690d-46e4-955f-fd3357e4f0b4’ is denied.)
Exception trace :
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
at Microsoft.Internal.Enterprise.Storage.Dls.ArmCommo n.FileCopyBlock.DoFileCopy(Object msgObject) (ID30123)
I am using DPM 2012 SP1 on Windows Server 2012 using SQL 2008
The files were backed up from a Windows 2008 Server
I am recovering the files to a local directory on my backup server - now I am just trying to get a restore from tape working
I have given the original student temporary full access to this directory, just to check it is not a straight forward permissions issue
I have tried recovering a single file as well as a directory full
I have tried recovering a different students work
I have tried logged in as myself (a Domain Admins) and the Domain Administrator.
I have run DPMSync - Sync
I am NOT a DBA but have just done a load of Googling.
Thought I should check the integrity of the DPM Database
So have tried some SQL Queries -
DBCC DBInfo (DatabaseName) with tableresults
This showed that DBCC checkdb had never been run before - Whoops
DBCC checkdb (DatabaseName) with no_Infomsgs
Could not see any messages or results – so I am hopefully assuming the database is fine
Ran the DBCC DBInfo query again and I am now getting a last known good date of today
What else can I check or what possible cause could there be?
The error looks like a folder/file/mounted volume permission issue. Do you do D2D as well (iSCSI or local?). But if the restore is purely from tape I'd have thought that all it would need to do is read from the DPMDB and read the data from the tape and write it to the destination folder. Mind you some of the ways DPM works is peculiar (and the help isn't much use half the time).
It does hi light the need to regularly backup the DB, as without it all D2D backups are worthless and any restore from tape will require a full catalogue, which could take hours.
I scheduled a backup of the DB once a day to a USB drive attached to a server at a remote site. There is a simple command to backup the DPMDB.
I would test other restores if I were you to try to determine if the issue relates to a particular tape/protected server/type of source (files/sql etc.)
Also, if not done so already I would run/schedlue a full consistency check on all protected servers. As, with way DPM works an error could have crept into one of the snapshots and this could have been incorporated into all subsequent restore points (on disk and then on tape). All protected sources might look green but the only time you'll find out there is a problem is when you try to restore data.
There are a couple of horror stories online about it (relating to SQL server backups not restoring on DPM2010). I understand that it is easier to schedule forced full consistency checks on 2012.
I hope you work out where the problem lies and can resolve it.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)