+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Best 'set and forget' Backup software for backing up to NAS server in Technical; Morning all, I'm after some advice please. I've just purchased a 16TB Synology NAS device that I want to backup ...

Thank Post

Question Best 'set and forget' Backup software for backing up to NAS server

Morning all,

I'm after some advice please.

I've just purchased a 16TB Synology NAS device that I want to backup my servers & data to. I was wondering what software you would recommend for scheduled 'set and forget' backups of my servers to this NAS?

Currently we backup to tape (old Skool, I know) and use Veritas Backup Exec 10. Would you buy Backup Exec 2012 to do the job or consider other solutions such as Acronis Backup & Recovery 11.5 Server for Windows? Or would you just use the built in Windows backup?

I know the NAS has software with it 'Data Replicator 3' but I feel that after a quick glance at the details it not meet our needs.

Many thanks for advice.

Thank Post
    Alright matey we use Microsoft DPM 2012 pain in the arse to setup if you know nothing about it like me but we got there in the end I rarely have to look at it now maybe check it once a week make sure things are running OK. Annoying for us is we cannot get the SMTP settings to work with it

Thank Post
    I use backup exec 2010 and backup to 2 nas boxes and i hardly ever have to touch it. I just check it every now and then to make sure it is doing its job.

Thank Post
    @timbo343 That's interesting that you use Backup exec 2010. Do you backup any Windows 2012 servers using it as I heard it didn't support it (when I last checked?). How many servers to you backup with it?

Another option I'm considering is whether to think about upgrading to Backup Exec 2012 as I like the complete system recovery options.

Thanks

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Veeam is the best these days, if you use virtualization that is.

Thank Post
    I aren't running any 2012 servers yet. Ive only just - in the last couple of years - got mine up to 2008 R2 and with budgets been the way they are, im going to have to beg borrow and steal to get new backup software.

Thank Post
    I sue macrium reflect to do this and depending on what im backing up robocopy

Thank Post
    I use dpm with NAS box - works pretty well after initial setup - next to nothing if you have microsoft EES agreement but you need to buy firestreamer to get it to work with NAS box. I found backup exec too expensive with all the agents etc.

Thank Post
    I agree BE is expensive with the agents but our backup and recovery policy has been bodged for too long so I'm prepared to spend the necessary readies to sort it out.

Below is what I want to achieve.

Currently all my servers are physical (Virtual is a project for later in the academic year).

I have 2 2008R2 DC's and 1 2008R2 SIMS server that I'd like to be able to take an image and store on NAS (scheduled) and then restore it to either dissimilar hardware or a VM should there be a failure. I also have 3 other non essential servers that I wouldn't mind imaging for the hell of it just to be ultra cautious (1 is Windows Server 2012).

I also need to schedule daily standard file backups of the data to the NAS should the little darlings (and students) misplace something.

I want a backup solution that is capable of the above, easy to setup and which runs itself (low maintenance).

So far it appears that Backup Exec 2012 and Acronis will both meet my needs. Veeam is just for vitual isn't it?
    I don't know anything about macrium reflect, does it have the ability to do what I need?

Thanks for advice.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    BE on the latest update supports 2012 via Agents not directly on it so you need an older server for hosting it all but can send out the agents to 2012 servers

What is going on with Backup Exec 2012 & Windows Server 2012? | Symantec Connect Community

Backup Exec Beta news! | Symantec Connect Community

Are of use to read explaining, from a Symantec viewpoint how it works and why they are STILL not here with a new version...

11. Thanks to john from:

IT_Man_Dan (16th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the above info. I've just been looking at macrium reflect. Would I need to install this on every server that I wanted to backup or can it be installed on just one (like BE 2012) to manage all the other backups?

Thank Post
    We use DPM, would rather find a better solution as it uses VSC for the disk-2-disk backup which has a maximum of 64 backups which is fairly pants as we want 3 a day for 4 months not 2 a day for a month!

It tends to work ok until it breaks and then it seems to take a day of trying to creat new restore points and sync jobs to get it to work again on a particular server.

We have SMTP working fine on ours, although I recall there bing a bug in the configuration screen.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I personally used ArcServe and once setup it seemed to behave as expected, it was a bit fiddly getting going and getting it to cycle right (but we used a multi-slot loader) but once it was right it was a good-un and worked well and was doing as I expected when I left It emailed all the job logs so could read through them and see what it said was going on

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IT_Man_Dan View Post
    Thanks for the above info. I've just been looking at macrium reflect. Would I need to install this on every server that I wanted to backup or can it be installed on just one (like BE 2012) to manage all the other backups?
    its a per server install

Thank Post
    Backupassist, cheap, easy to setup and never had to touch it since setting it up

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast