+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange Receive Connector query in Technical; Hi, I have been asked to allow larger emails to come into the organisation from a particular client. But I ...

Thank Post

Exchange Receive Connector query

Hi,
    I have been asked to allow larger emails to come into the organisation from a particular client. But I just want to allow larger emails from that client and that client only. having done some digging I set up a new receive connector and allowed 30Mb max receive size for that connector but I have a query for the network settings tab. Should I enter the Ip addresses of the clients public available DNS servers? - or otherwise how will our exchange server allow the sending from the client domain only through that receive connector? is this the correct ip addresses to configure?
    thanks in advance for any help!

Thank Post
    No, you should have a direct connection so that their Exch server can send to yours, thus, enter their external Exch server IP.

Understanding Message Size Limits: Exchange 2010 Help

Thank Post
    thanks Sukh. i must have got this wrong then... i assumed that by setting up a receive connector and entering the ip settings for the clients domain/exchange that this would in effect be the connection set up?! and should i assume that in that case the the ip address should be the clients router's external ip? the settings for mail size restrictions are correct within the organisation, its just the connection to the client eexchange im struggling to configure.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I know you have said you have created a new send connector, is that because you want to allow only one particular company to send large emails to you or are you trying to do this for anyone.

I am going to assume that it's the former, and you are setting up a connector limit, so that you can restrict which organizations are allowed to send you such large emails and in which case you need to be able to identity this organization by form of Public IP Address. You need to ask the organization to send you their Public IP Address that they are using for Exchange Outbound Email, it's possible they have a dedicated IP address for such exchange server and so therefore make sure you check that, and don't just get some random person to get the Public IP Address of their desktop client machine.

Further more, ensure that the organization you are allowing this for does have a Static IP Address otherwise you will need to ensure they update you of their new Public IP Address when it changes.

No Connection is being setup, all you are doing by setting up a receive connector with such limits is saying that messages coming from 'X' IP address are allowed to come in via this receive connector and the message size limit is Y and the messages is then retrieved and routed to the internal recipient. If the messages comes from a different IP Address, then they will go via the default receive connector which has a message size limit smaller I will assume (I.e. around 10MB) and so therefore messages greater than this will be rejected, and an NDR will be sent to the sender.

I hope that helps,
    James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 9th October 2013 at 03:14 AM.

Thank Post
    thanks James that does clear it up.

"I am going to assume that it's the former"

yes i am trying to allow a client to send emails to us that are above the "across the board" max size limit. So yes, i am waiting for the public ip address of the concerned client and will fix this to the receive connector and see how we go and that will therefore be the "connection" so to speak that we require.

thanks for the info, i will test this out and see how we go.

Thank Post
    just tell them to send you an email and check the MH, it's typically the external ip of the firewall if they aren't exposing exch, either way MH will show.

Thank Post
    Mail headers have a wealth of information in them and over the years have helped me catch out a few people too. The information you need will be in there.

Thank Post
    thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the client has changed their mind and the request is no longer needed - a shame as this would have been a very useful exercise. But thanks for the tips, they may come in handy in the future as i am about to set up a new 2013 environment in the next month or so

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread