+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Papercut - being installed tomorrow - advice please! in Technical; Hi, we've an engineer coming into school tomorrow from our photocopier suppliers to instal papercut. I'd like to have some ...

Thank Post

Papercut - being installed tomorrow - advice please!

Hi, we've an engineer coming into school tomorrow from our photocopier suppliers to instal papercut.

I'd like to have some idea if what we would like will work.

We currently have a small printer in each class room, a mfp in the staff room and library

We're not really going to do much with pupils, we're a small SEN school and pupil printing isn't too much of an issue.
    Perhaps we will just log counts so we can decide where better printers should be.

For staff the main purpose is to hold prints and release to one of two printers (mfp's in library and staff room)
    I'd like the teacher to be able to choose any printer and if it's a classroom one for the print to print straight away.
    However, ideally i'd then like them to have the opportunity to print to either of our mfp's. Is it possible to have these listed as one printer, then the teacher enters a code on either to release the print job? Or do they have to choose a printer which can then hold the job till the code is entered... but they must go to that printer?

Hope that makes sense? In a nut shell;
    Teacher can print in classroom - no issues (but monitored and logged silently)
    Teacher prints to MFP, wanders in their own time to either MFP enters code and voila, out pops print.

Just one other question; where do I generate and store the individual codes?

Thanks

Thank Post
    This works on the assumption that your MFPs are the same model (haven't been able to test on varying models) but we have set up a virtual print queue with multiple release stations. So a teacher can print to the virtual printer and it holds it in the queue. They can walk up to any of our copiers 8 across the site and put their finger on the biometric reader though for you this would be their pin code and then they can release any of the prints that are held in the queue.

Thank Post
    Cheers, annoyingly though they are differing models typical huh!

I've never set up a virtual print queue before, is it easy peasy?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they can both print from the same more generic driver you should be fine, we have 3 different Minolta copiers that are all on a single virtual printer queue, hopefully the copier tech should be able to set this up for you as they should know their gear and required drivers.

Thank Post
    That is all do able.

The main driver deployed to the machine will have all the options that are enabled and then it can be done, never come across what happens if that option is selected but the machine cannot do it.

I've done 4 or 5 deployments of PaperCut over the last few months, normally have it working in say half a day if no issues. In fact potentially just sold it to another customer who wants to manage their printing from multiple MFD's rather than using the built in codes.

You will need to deploy/run the client app of each PC but its all packaged and the commands are in the huge manual!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread