+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2010 can't connect to EMC or EMS in Technical; So I've started to add an Exchange 2010 box to the ageing Exchange 2003 system. So far I've installed CAS ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2010 can't connect to EMC or EMS

So I've started to add an Exchange 2010 box to the ageing Exchange 2003 system. So far I've installed CAS which went smoothly enough with no errors to report but when I try to open EMS I get the error
    The connection to the specified remote host was refused. Verify that the WS-Management service is running on the remote host and configured to listen for requests on the correct port and HTTP URL
    I've looked at Error message when you try to start Exchange Management Shell (EMS) or Exchange Management Console (EMC): "The connection to the specified remote host was refused" which says to check that the MSExchangePowerShellAppPool has started which it had. I can't check the user is powershell enabled as I can't start EMS but I would have thought any admin account would already be powershell enabled anyway. That just leaves WinRM which shows it has started and listening on the correct IP and port.

I've run the EMTshooter Resolving WinRM errors and Exchange 2010 Management tools startup failures - Exchange Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Checking IIS Service...

Checking the Exchange Install Path variable...

Checking the Powershell Virtual Directory...

Checking the Powershell vdir SSL setting...

Checking the Powershell vdir path setting...

Checking HTTP Port 80...

Checking HTTP Port 80 Host Name...

Testing for errors...

VERBOSE: Connecting to servername.domain.leicester.sch.uk

new-pssession : [servername.domain.leicester.sch.uk] Connecting to remote server servername.domain..leice
    At \\server\software$\AdminTools\Exchange\EMTshooter\ EMTConnectFunctions.ps1:177 char:15
    + $session = new-pssession -connectionURI "http://$fqdn/powershell?serializatio ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : OpenError: (System.Manageme....RemoteRunspace:RemoteRunspace) [New-PSSession], PSRemotingT
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CannotConnectWinRMService,PSSessionOpenFailed
    The Exchange Management Troubleshooter successfully completed connecting to:

servername.domain.leicester.sch.uk

Failed to connect to any Exchange Server in the current site.

Problem found:

Looking for error...

Unknown Error

After each error is resolved, close this window and re-run the tool to check for additional problems.
    Any ideas?

Thank Post
    In IIS ensure the binding for the default website is set to all unassigned for its ip binding. Try it and it should work.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I'm back there Tuesday so I'll check then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bart21 View Post
    In IIS ensure the binding for the default website is set to all unassigned for its ip binding. Try it and it should work.
    Just checked and this what I found. Is it correct?

Exchange bindings.JPG

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Can u change that to say * or all unassigned for all of them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bart21 View Post
    Can u change that to say * or all unassigned for all of them?
    Yes I changed the bindings for * on ports 80 and 443 but it still gave the same error so I added the bindings for 127.0.0.1 and the server IP for both 80 and 443 ports but again the error remained.

It's probably not connected but when I ping the server from itself I get an IPv6 address and not the IPv4 address.

Thank Post

Exchange 2010 can't connect to EMC or EMS - SOLVED!

Been busy of late so not had time to spend on this problem but this week was slack so did more digging and finally sorted it. Why there wasn't anything in the logs is beyond me and would have saved a lot of time, but in the end all I had to do was change the machine proxy setting, simple really. Normally I set the machine proxy to bypass the subnet and local host so something like

Code:
    netsh winhttp set proxy proxy-server="webshield.embc.uk.com:80" bypass-list="<local subnet>;<local>"
    But what I needed was

Code:
    netsh winhttp set proxy proxy-server="webshield.embc.uk.com:80" bypass-list="<local subnet>;<domain>;<local>"
    My other school just has the local subnet in the bypass list and Exchange 2010 works just fine so perhapps it's something to do with Server 2012

Configuring the new box is going well apart from a small problem with the offline address book which I'm struggling with and as my power shell is limited I expect I'm going to need help with that one

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread