+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Sharepoint 2013 workflows in Technical; I'm trying to create a Leave of Absence Request workflow for our SharePoint 2013 intranet and make it as friendly ...

Thank Post

Sharepoint 2013 workflows

I'm trying to create a Leave of Absence Request workflow for our SharePoint 2013 intranet and make it as friendly as possible for the end user. Using the current paper-based form the person requesting the absence has to fill in a section which relates to the type of absence, ie, INSET, Medical or Discretionary Leave. The crux of the matter for me is to set up the form so that when a user selects the type of absence a further section opens which is specific to the chosen type of absence. To be perfectly honest, at my level of experience, I don't know if this can be achieved, so I would initially appreciate your assessment as to whether I'm going about this the wrong/right way. It may be that this can be achieved by a different route.
    Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    We have done this for numerious processes such as LOA, Holidays, Paternaty leave etc and we purchased some 3rd part software called bamboo workflow conductor as it has a good GUI to use. Not cheap though as i beleive it was around 2k.

The processes work extremly well as it will send an email for authorisation for LOA etc. We still have a problem with some users not checking their emails properly though to approve things but as a whole most people do.
    Last edited by techie08; 15th August 2013 at 02:07 PM.

3. Thanks to techie08 from:

beeswax (16th August 2013)

Thank Post
    you can use InfoPath to design the workflow, it can be as easy or as hard as you make it. I started it for 2010, now we have move to 2013 I am going to have to do some learning all over again,

5. Thanks to teklogic from:

Thank Post
    The crux of the matter for me is to set up the form so that when a user selects the type of absence a further section opens which is specific to the chosen type of absence.
    teklogic, you believe that this can be achieved using InfoPath?

techie08 I looked at bamboo workflow, and unless the exchange rate is 2 US Dollars to the GBP it's rather more expensive than when you purchased it.

Thank Post

8. Thanks to pcstru from:

Thank Post
    Hi Beeswax,

I'm not too sure that you can have a section open upon choosing an item from the dropdown that that the user selects, i'm sure it's probably possible somehow, but maybe a bit difficult to sort.

I did a similar system at our place where an SLT member wanted staff to fill in a form which then started a workflow for that SLT member to approve/reject. What i had in place was 2 calendar systems, one that showed approved requests and one that showed rejected. This also was sent via email too.
    The system had it's flaws too as if staff were to enter personal requests then the other staff may see the post and it's details, so in the end the SLT who took it over changed the system back to paper!!!!
    Streamline the process so it can be just an Approve/reject process without the calendar and i guess that would do the job.

Good Luck!

10. Thanks to gpjt from:

Thank Post
    @gpjt Thanks for the help. I think I will end up with three separate Leave of Absence forms, which the end user will have to select from a drop down, then I believe I can use the same workflow for each.

@pcstru Looks interesting.

I've few days off so hopefully wiil return refreshed and ready to tackle this problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread