+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2010 unable to send outside of EMBC network in Technical; Since the school has changed its subnet Exchange 2010 has been having problems sending and receiving emails but I don’t ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2010 unable to send outside of EMBC network

Since the school has changed its subnet Exchange 2010 has been having problems sending and receiving emails but I don’t think the problem is this end but at Capita's end.

No emails are being received. I can send emails to other EMBC schools but I am unable to send emails to people outside the EMBC network as I get 550 fail message relaying denied from mx01.inthehive.net.

Capita thinks the problem is in our Exchange box but I would argue that if I can send to other schools ok but not anyone else then the problem must be at Capita's end as all email is routed through Openhive.

I've checked the exchange settings and I can't see anything that would cause any problem. Am I missing something here or is Capita trying a fast one?
    Last edited by Jobos; 8th August 2013 at 03:14 PM.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Since the school has changed its subnet Exchange 2010 has been having problems sending and receiving emails but I don’t think the problem is this end but at Capita's end.

No emails are being received. I can send emails to other EMBC schools but I am unable to send emails to people outside the EMBC network as I get 550 fail message relaying denied from mx01.inthehive.net.

Capita thinks the problem is in our Exchange box but I would argue that if I can send to other schools ok but not anyone else then the problem must be at Capita's end as all email is routed through Openhive.

I've checked the exchange settings and I can't see anything that would cause any problem. Am I missing something here or is Capita trying a fast one?

Capita thinks the problem is in our Exchange box

Given that the problem is with this mx01.inthehive.net box, which is presumably a LEA or ISP smarthost or something like that(?) then unless that's actually the name of your exchange server and I've misunderstood you, or they can explain precisely what the problem is locally and exactly how to fix it, I'd strongly suggest telling whoever is giving you that advice to sod off and let someone competent look at the case.

Thank Post
    Just what I thought. I wasn't at that school today but spoke to Capita on the phone and they want me to restart the onsite exchange box. Just time wasting!

Thank Post
    OK just a couple of thoughts -

Is your Exchange server configured to send outgoing emails through relay.inthehive.net? Check in Org Configuration | Hub Transport | Send Connectors | Properties | Network

Also is the IP address of your server on the EMBC network as Capita sees it (e.g. 10.x.x.x) the same as it was before your network change? If not, that would explain why you are unable to receive incoming emails.

It sounds like the IP of your Exchange server has changed. Capita will need this in order to relay inbound email to you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterH View Post
    OK just a couple of thoughts -

Is your Exchange server configured to send outgoing emails through relay.inthehive.net? Check in Org Configuration | Hub Transport | Send Connectors | Properties | Network

Also is the IP address of your server on the EMBC network as Capita sees it (e.g. 10.x.x.x) the same as it was before your network change? If not, that would explain why you are unable to receive incoming emails.

It sounds like the IP of your Exchange server has changed. Capita will need this in order to relay inbound email to you.
    Yes the IP has changed and all settings are correct, well I didn't need to change anything this end as all mail is sent through relay.inthehive.net. Capita have the new IP and mailmarshal has the new IP listed as our exchange server so the problem must be with the Capita's relay.

Thank Post
    This is the bounce message:

The following organisation rejected your message: mx01.inthehive.net.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: mail.xxxxxx.leicester.sch.uk

jobos@xxxxxx.me.uk
    mx01.inthehive.net #550 Relaying denied ##

Original message headers:

Received: from mail.xxxxx.leicester.sch.uk ([fe80::e047:c63e:346c:8d69]) by
    mail.xxxxxx.leicester.sch.uk ([fe80::e047:c63e:346c:8d69%18]) with mapi id
    14.02.0342.003; Fri, 9 Aug 2013 08:41:26 +0100
    To: "jobos@xxxxx.me.uk"
    Subject: test
    Thread-Topic: test
    Thread-Index: Ac6U09mjSZW5sawrSYaUGXvMlrlAoA==
    Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 07:41:25 +0000
    Message-ID: <144F613B1493064F99A97B53140E01D81BEED7CB@mail.xxx xxx.leicester.sch.uk>
    Accept-Language: en-GB, en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
    x-originating-ip: [10.2.xxx.70]
    Content-Type: multipart/related;
    boundary="_004_144F613B1493064F99A97B53140E01D81BE ED7CBGCxxxxleicest_";
    type="multipart/alternative"
    MIME-Version: 1.0

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Yeah, the smarthost/relay is denying your connection. This is configuration at their end - if IP or hostname of your server has changed and the smarthost is configured to only accept email from 'known' mail servers, which I'd expect, then they need to update that info on the smarthost.

Thank Post
    Strange thing is I can send mail to other Leicester schools fine, it's just outside of the EMBC network that's the problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Strange thing is I can send mail to other Leicester schools fine, it's just outside of the EMBC network that's the problem.
    I'm guessing School <> School is more relaxed than School > Internet or it's being relayed differently.

I'd also place a small bet that the Capita relay is using your old IP/Mask for whatever reason. If you telnet to the relay from the old IP address/mask, does it let you send email?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'd also place a small bet that the Capita relay is using your old IP/Mask for whatever reason. If you telnet to the relay from the old IP address/mask, does it let you send email?
    No response when telneting.

Thank Post
    It's now been fixed but the problem was what we all thought.. Capita's firewall.

Thanks everyone

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread