+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Emails between 2010 & 2013 exchange servers in Technical; Hi, I have setup a new Exchange 2013 server. The idea is to migrate everyone onto this new server. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Blog Entries

Emails between 2010 & 2013 exchange servers

Hi,

I have setup a new Exchange 2013 server. The idea is to migrate everyone onto this new server. I have most people currently on 2010 and a test account on 2013. I cannot send messages to users on the other server. I get the attached from delivery reports.

Do i need to setup a send connector? I have done that and it didn't seem to help.

I have 1 x 2010 box and 1 x 2013 box

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also users cant email between each other on the Exchange 2013 box. They get stuck in the drafts. I do a delivery report on Exchange 2013 and its empty. Any thoughts please?

Thank Post
    Going to look over my setup and see if i can help with this, I installed Exchange 2013 today and i've got pretty much an identical scenario to what you currently have, will edit this in a few minutes with some screenshots of the various settings i had to configure once i installed exchange 2013 (still working my way around it though, incredibly just how different it is!)

EDIT: Ok might be easier to type out rather than screenshots as i think i know which bit fixes your problem....

Mail flow:
    This may be the bit that fixes your problem... send connector, edit it and go to scoping and add your new server to the list of source servers. Shouldn't be anything else to change here.

These are the only other things i had to configure so far...
    Check DNS and transport settings are all the same as your old setup
    Configure outlook anywhere to the same as previous, if you didn't previously use this then i've read it's worth configuring anyway as it may effect something else now too.
    Then i installed a certificate from my CA after doing a certificates request
    Next go through virtual directories with all servers shown, and i pretty much just cloned the settings of my old server to match my new one

EDIT2: i just can't remember if i changed anything on the receive connector...

EDIT3: I lie actually mine isn't working properly, essentially this is how far I've got:
    Exchange 2010 users can email exchange 2010 users
    Exchange 2010 users can email exchange 2013 users
    Exchange 2013 users can email exchange 2013 users
    ...but exchange 2013 users can't email exchange 2010 users o_O

EDIT4: I must admit, I'm currently very confused by the receive connectors. On 2010 i just had a "Client EXCHANGE1" and then a couple of custom SMTP connectors but on 2013 there's like 5 precreated connectors..
    Last edited by mrbios; 26th July 2013 at 04:58 PM.

4. Thanks to mrbios from:

FN-GM (26th July 2013)

Thank Post
    I've got the same setup, just nearing the end of a migration and I didn't make any changes to the receive connectors on 2013, I only have one send connector which is to our RBC smart host for relaying mail to the outside world.

I'd be looking at DNS - I also found this: Exchange 2013: Stuck messages in OWA’s Drafts folder and DNS | Thoughtsofanidlemind's Blog

6. Thanks to adamf from:

FN-GM (26th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    DNS was the issue. Weird thing is i did set this at one point. It must have been on the first installation i did before the final. Thanks for the help

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right got the same problem as @mrbios but the other way around. The Exchange 2013 can email the 2010 box but the 2013 cant email the 2010 box.

Thank Post
    ...and i've got another problem now. I didn't realise the amount of space transaction logs were taking up, overnight the storage filled and got stuck on migration. Upon resolving this i now have a load of mail boxes where the status on move request is showing up as "Relinquished" :| balls!

Tried completely removing my move requests, failed requests etc. and starting again, but some still show as relinquished.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Right got the same problem as @mrbios but the other way around. The Exchange 2013 can email the 2010 box but the 2013 cant email the 2010 box.
    Which way round is it? You said the exchange 2013 can and can't email the 2010 box!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Which way round is it? You said the exchange 2013 can and can't email the 2010 box!
    If his is the opposite to mine then i expect his 2010 can't email the 2013 box, whereas i have the problem of the 2013 box not being able to email 2010. No doubt the same issue just in reverse

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    If his is the opposite to mine then i expect his 2010 can't email the 2013 box, whereas i have the problem of the 2013 box not being able to email 2010. No doubt the same issue just in reverse
    Yep thats correct. It used to be both ways its just one way now. The issue is DNS i can see that in the queue viewer. But both servers are set the same settings. Might give the server a reset.

I forgot about the transition log thing, how did you resolve this?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just looked at some notes i did on a Exchange 2010 course, did you enable circular logging to stop the logs getting large?

Thank Post
    Just looked at some notes i did on a Exchange 2010 course, did you enable circular logging to stop the logs getting large?
    Yea I've enabled that for the time being, then i'll turn it off again once the migration is done probably (I'm not that clued up on the impact it has though?). All the fixes i was reading advised me to run an exchange aware backup, but i couldn't do that because the backup always failed complaining about not enough space So enabling circular logging appeared to be the only thing that would solve it.

Yep thats correct. It used to be both ways its just one way now. The issue is DNS i can see that in the queue viewer. But both servers are set the same settings. Might give the server a reset.

I forgot about the transition log thing, how did you resolve this?
    What DNS issues were you having? As far as i can tell I haven't had to do anything with DNS yet, maybe that's why mine isn't working (I can't remember doing anything with DNS when i went from 2003 > 2010, albeit that was a few years ago lol)

EDIT: With my problem of status showing as "Relinquished" If i do "Get-MoveRequest|Get-MoveRequestStatistics" It says Relinquished on about 5-6 mailboxes, but if i do "Get-MoveRequest -Identity 'user'" for the user showing as relinquished, this time it says queued which is what i'd expect......confused. Maybe i'll just let it run through all the current mailboxes that are working fine and then work on those at the end instead of trying to resolve that now, should only account for about 10 users total i think.
    Last edited by mrbios; 28th July 2013 at 12:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you enable circular logging it means the log will overwrite itself when it gets to 1mb (i think) instead of create a new log file. If you have a disaster and you need to replay the log files into the database they have been overwritten so you get loss of data, so will be a problem if you keep it enabled. Your exchange disk will also get full if you don't backup your server. The logs will keep creating and they won't get replayed.

Can you run an NSlookup from your exchange 2013 server to the 2010 server? and the reverse?

Thank Post
    If you enable circular logging it means the log will overwrite itself when it gets to 1mb (i think) instead of create a new log file. If you have a disaster and you need to replay the log files into the database they have been overwritten so you get loss of data, so will be a problem if you keep it enabled. Your exchange disk will also get full if you don't backup your server. The logs will keep creating and they won't get replayed.

Can you run an NSlookup from your exchange 2013 server to the 2010 server? and the reverse?
    Ah thanks for the explanation. Will turn it off once this migration is done then, and setup the backups to point to the new server at the same time.

I can indeed nslookup to and from both servers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you go into the queue viewer can you see your messages stuck in there?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast