+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Emails between 2010 & 2013 exchange servers in Technical; Originally Posted by FN-GM If you go into the queue viewer can you see your messages stuck in there? Well, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    If you go into the queue viewer can you see your messages stuck in there?
    Well, i could until my test account migrated across :x

I can see 53 messages stuck in there at the moment but they're all from external coming in, and i know why they're stuck there (because those mailboxes are still in 2010, yet to migrate and the emails coming from external can't get to the 2010 server due to the IP having changed on my smart host to point to 2013) I'm happy with external > 2010 not working, because i understand why it doesn't work, just can't work out why mail from 2013 to 2010 won't work, and I've only just realised i've ballsed up my only way of testing that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,494 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Are your reverse lookup records populated? Googling this, it looks like these are important for exchange.

Thank Post
    Are your reverse lookup records populated? Googling this, it looks like these are important for exchange.
    Yep populated and correct.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Getting closer with my issue, I can telnet using port 25 into my exchange 2010 box but not the 2013 box.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Yea I've enabled that for the time being, then i'll turn it off again once the migration is done probably (I'm not that clued up on the impact it has though?). All the fixes i was reading advised me to run an exchange aware backup, but i couldn't do that because the backup always failed complaining about not enough space So enabling circular logging appeared to be the only thing that would solve it.
    Just be aware that this "solves" backups failing being a problem in the same way that closing your eyes and thinking about something else "solves" having one of your major arteries servered.

It might be a sensible approach during the mailbox moves, but I'd turn it off straight away afterwards. And I'd still say that a more sensible move would be to stop worrying about mailbox moves until backups were sorted.

As for the problems with mail going between the two sets of servers, is there a receive connector on the e2010 box that's (a) listening to the correct internal IP address for the internal FQDN of the e2010 box, and is that set to allow exchange servers to auth?
    Last edited by Roberto; 28th July 2013 at 01:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    Just be aware that this "solves" backups failing being a problem in the same way that closing your eyes and thinking about something else "solves" having one of your major arteries servered.

It might be a sensible approach during the mailbox moves, but I'd turn it off straight away afterwards. And I'd still say that a more sensible move would be to stop worrying about mailbox moves until backups were sorted.

As for the problems with mail going between the two sets of servers, is there a receive connector on the e2010 box that's (a) listening to the correct internal IP address for the internal FQDN of the e2010 box, and is that set to allow exchange servers to auth?
    The backups were failing due to no space being available where the logs were held (3mb free on the disk!!) there's nothing wrong with the backup system itself, they work fine, but until i removed the log files by enabling circular logging the backups couldn't do a VSS on the volume to backup anything as it wanted to store that on the same disk.

I'll happily turn it off again once the migration has completed, and naturally i have full backups of everything prior to migration

Will check my receive connectors again later, for now....there's a 3 year old to attend to lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fixed mine it was the FrontEnd connector. I decided to disable it and merge it into another connector.

How exactly should the receive connectors be configured?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @mrbios how are you going about replacing your Exchange 2010 box? I dont want to change my URLS. We have all sort of MFP mobile devices etc pointing to the exchange 2010 URL. Currently i have exchange 2013 on ex13.school.com and 2010 on mail.school.com. The plan is to change the URL of 2013 to mail.school.com then 2010 to ex10.school.com. I will then migrate the mailboxes over.

What are your thoughts?

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Fixed mine it was the FrontEnd connector. I decided to disable it and merge it into another connector.

How exactly should the receive connectors be configured?
    In a co-existence scenario with 2007 or 2010 and 2013, there needs to be a connector on the 2010/07 Hub/CAS that is listening on the "correct" internal IP address for the server (e.g. if DNS shows that 'my.internal.cas.local' is at 10.10.1.10 then the connector should be listening to that IP address). It should be configured to allow 'Exchange Server authentication' and, I think, TLS.
    Last edited by Roberto; 28th July 2013 at 02:02 PM.

10. Thanks to Roberto from:

FN-GM (28th July 2013)

Thank Post
    @mrbios how are you going about replacing your Exchange 2010 box? I dont want to change my URLS. We have all sort of MFP mobile devices etc pointing to the exchange 2010 URL. Currently i have exchange 2013 on ex13.school.com and 2010 on mail.school.com. The plan is to change the URL of 2013 to mail.school.com then 2010 to ex10.school.com. I will then migrate the mailboxes over.

What are your thoughts?
    Well i cheated by only making one server available externally at a time. All I've had to do is swap the internal IPs of 2010 and 2013 around (or changed the IPs on my smart host + ISA server, but that was more of a faff than swapping internal IPs. Depends on your network setup though really, I was lucky in that this scenario doesn't work for everyone) URLs are all the same as i never bothered creating a second one. Only 4 people who needed email urgently in the summer so I've just ensured they were moved first and the swap was done at the same time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @mrbios Thanks . Did you figure out how to disable Office Web Apps in OWA?

Thank Post
    @mrbios Thanks . Did you figure out how to disable Office Web Apps in OWA?
    Do you mean the features you want to have enabled or disabled like instant messaging etc? If so that lots under permissions > outlook web app policies.

I haven't really played around with that much yet but I'll probably end up making different policies for staff and students, not sure of the commands to do that via the shell yet though

EDIT: ohhh no i see what you mean now, in that case, no not looked into that bit yet
    EDIT2: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...xchg.150).aspx

Code:
    Set-OwaVirtualDirectory "Server01\owa (Default Web Site)" -WacViewingOnPublicComputersEnabled $false
    Code:
    Set-OwaVirtualDirectory "Server01\owa (Default Web Site)" -WacViewingOnPrivateComputersEnabled $false
    To completely disable Office web app
    Last edited by mrbios; 28th July 2013 at 03:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I dont think we are the same page. Under settings you can install addons from the Windows store such as a twitter module.

Thank Post
    I dont think we are the same page. Under settings you can install addons from the Windows store such as a twitter module.
    Oh like the bing maps bit and so on? I know what you mean now.

Yea i can see why we'd need to disable that...having a hunt around now.

Internally we can block it in outlook with a group policy, and again internally we can just block the office app store for outlook via filtering, but how we block it externally (ideally turning the functionality off altogether so we don't need the former two!) i have no idea.
    Last edited by mrbios; 28th July 2013 at 05:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Ah yet to test this but under permissions > user roles > edit the default policy (assuming that's the only one you have there) and scroll down to "My Marketplace Apps"

Hopefully that might do it, going to test it out now

EDIT: ohhhhhhh my migration of 1927 mailboxes has just finished, and guess what? 1926 Completed successfull 1 failed. ONE. Eurgh.
    Last edited by mrbios; 28th July 2013 at 05:11 PM.

17. Thanks to mrbios from:

FN-GM (28th July 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast