+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, [SCCM 2012] Software updates and inventory in Technical; Hello all, I知 setting up SCCM for the first time and have a couple questions / issues. First I知 trying ...
    Thank Post

Question [SCCM 2012] Software updates and inventory

Hello all,
    I知 setting up SCCM for the first time and have a couple questions / issues.
    First I知 trying to understand the software updates, how to I go about approving updates and only approving updates that are actually needed?
    Previously I had WSUS to only download updates that were approved, then each month I壇 approve the needed updates.
    Everything I have read on SCCM 2012 wants me to setup an automatic deployment rule to get all the updates from patch Tuesday.
    I only want to get the updates that are needed in my environment and approve them. Any advice on this?

Second, is software inventory, I知 getting these errors on the client inventory agent log.
    Code:
    InventoryVersionNumber for '{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002}' not found.      InventoryAgent                7/24/2013 6:38:02 AM    6092 (0x17CC)
    CInvState::VerifyInventoryVersionNumber: Couldn't get version number for '{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002}': 80070490            InventoryAgent                7/24/2013 6:38:02 AM    6092 (0x17CC)
    When I go to resource explorer installed applications are populated under hardware and nothing under software product details. This seems a bit backwards. Consequently the inventoried software section in the console is empty.

Thank you,

Thank Post
    Software updates in SCCM work a bit differently than in WSUS

You only download the updates you need, bundle them into a software update group ( or SUG )and then deploy that group to your clients.
    (With WSUS - it downloaded all updates for a specific product - whether you wanted them or not!)

So, in 2012, you goto software updates, create a query (eg Product [Windows7], Expired [No], Superceded [No] 0 this would find all Windows 7 updates that haven't been expired or superceded)

The next step is to download them into a package and then deploy them to a collection of machines..

Good place to start is Windows-Noob.com - using System Center 2012 Configuration Manager - Part 9. Deploying Monthly Updates - Configuration Manager 2012 - www.windows-noob.com

3. Thanks to Gatt from:

ADMaster (25th July 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @Gatt
    I think I have a handle on the software updates now, any idea on the inventoried software issue?

Now I am trying to figure out application deployments and uninstalls. I plan on removing Sophos after endpoint protection is installed. It is a four step uninstall,
    Msiexec /x product code of remote management /qn
    Msiexec /x product code of auto update /qn
    Msiexec /x product code of patch management /qn
    Msiexec /x product code of anti-virus /qn

I’ve tried adding them is different programs in a package and got the error bad environment. The next step will be looking at creating application dependencies so running one calls the others.
    I’m coming from PDQ deploy where I could run a command, or an installer, have multiple steps to a package, install or uninstall etc.
    I’m working with SCCM because of the new MS licensing, but PDQ was easier. Will SCCM provide the flexibility the PDQ did once I get it setup properly and understand the work flows?

Thanks,

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread