+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Backup Exec 2010 R3 in Technical; So I had a bit of time on my hands today and thought I would have a go at disaster ...

Thank Post

Backup Exec 2010 R3

So I had a bit of time on my hands today and thought I would have a go at disaster recovery procedures using a spare server I have lying around,

I installed 2008 R2 then installed backup exec 2010 R3, all was going well a media set was created and the tape ran its inventory fine, but when I went to catalogue the tape
    its all greyed out and wont let me no matter what I do, If I run the restore procedure it says I have to catalogue the tape first....am I missing something ???

Thank Post
    Anybody have any links to doing a full system recover with BE 2010, I would like t check that the DR plan actually works.

Thank Post
    Had to do this on our backup server. Run the installer and make the DR disk, should be an ISO that you would burn to DVD. This uses windows pe to run BE Exec, then restore.

We forgot this, and installed Server 2008 R2, installed BE, cataloged the tapes with the backup on, restarted in AD restore mode (it needs it even on a member server), then restore using BE. Hope that makes sense

4. Thanks to nickbro from:

Homeland (30th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that I wasn't aware of the DR disk, will have a go at it in the morning.

Thank Post
    @Homeland just noticed something in your first post -'was going well a media set was created and the tape ran its inventory fine'
    Did you by any chance, create a media set on this test server and assign the tape to this media set. If yes, you might have erased all the data on the tape. My suggestion, do not create any media sets on the test server as this is only being used for restore. Only insert the tape, inventory, catalog and perform the restore.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydeep View Post

My suggestion, do not create any media sets on the test server as this is only being used for restore. Only insert the tape, inventory, catalog and perform the restore.
    I tried this but the problem is that the option to catalogue the tapes is greyed out and it wont let me do it, I also install IDR as part of the 60 day trial but that doesn't appear either.

Thank Post
    OK I have just found out that IDR is not included in quickstart edition even though it is there as a 60 day trial, I also have a licence for BE2012 so might see if its included in that rather than upgrade 2010. Anybody had any experience with 2010 is it any different ???

Thank Post
    I am not sure how IDR is gonna help if you are not able to catalog the tapes in the first place. What version of Backup Exec has been used to backup data on that tape?

Thank Post
    2010 R3, I am led to believe that with IDR it contains a record of the catalogued tapes so it can restore automatically.

Thank Post
    Not really, the .dr file that is created during the IDR enabled backup would contain backup-set information and the Media Server information to restore from. However, it does not have a complete catalog information. You would first need to catalog the tape on this server in order to restore the data from.

Is the Tape drive installed properly on this server (with Symantec drivers). Have you enabled Tape Library support in the install options? If the setup is fine, all you need to do is right click the Tape drive (after physically inserting the tape media, for Library just put the tape in the library slot) and perform Inventory. Once the Inventory is successful, again right click and perform catalog.

If you are not able to view these options, could you post a screenshot of the options that you get after right clicking the tape drive or a link to it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread