+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Remote Desktop Services Installation - Failures :( in Technical; I'm trying to investigate how good Microsofts VDI solution is so I decided to install it and I have failed ...
    Thank Post

Arrow Remote Desktop Services Installation - Failures :(

I'm trying to investigate how good Microsofts VDI solution is so I decided to install it and I have failed to do so! I installed Server 2012, did all available Updates and then went through the remote desktop services installation wizard.

I'm installing it on a test server so I chose the Quick Start option (so all the roles are installed on the one server) and then chose the Virtual machine-based desktop deployment. After an automatic reboot I'm greeted with a error that says "The post installation configuration dod not complete" nothing in the Event Viewer to indicate what these errors are. On drilling the errors down in Server Manager which had a red flag highlighted, it narrowed it down to "one or more unknown errors" - really useful!

I then removed what it had installed and tried doing a Standard Deployment rather than the Quick Start option and now I get a diffrerent error message after the automatic reboot - it's telling me that the RD connection broker server isnt opening remote connections.

I can find loads of installation guides and helpfull information about 2008 R2 RDS but very little for 2012!

Has anyone else installed the latest version of RDS, if so how did your installation go and did you follow any setup guides that you could give me the link to so I can see what I'm doing wrong?

Thank Post
    Check the event logs for services not starting due to incorrect privileges.

When I installed RDS I had a similar problem found that a service couldn't start due to the account it used being unable to start, which as a result meant the installation failed. Though I remember it failing before the automatic reboot.

Thank Post
    I've checked the services and they're all started.

Thank Post
    your 2012 box isnt a dc by any chance is it? if so find another server it wont work i believe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    your 2012 box isnt a dc by any chance is it? if so find another server it wont work i believe
    No it's not a DC. It's a fresh install of Server 2012. I've tried it with and without all Windows Updates installed and still get the same errors.

Thank Post
    *Problem Solved*

It turns out that for some reason, the Windows Firewall service was disabled and that was causing the "One or more errors has occurred" message to appear!

I now get further through the installation and now have a new error message to deal with! lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fazza View Post
    *Problem Solved*

It turns out that for some reason, the Windows Firewall service was disabled and that was causing the "One or more errors has occurred" message to appear!

I now get further through the installation and now have a new error message to deal with! lol
    What error is that ?

Thank Post
    Now it tells me that it is Unable to create the virtual desktop collection.

I've also tried it on our test domain which has a single 2012 DC and after a fresh install of 2012 on another server, when I try and install the Quick setup it fails with the same message saying it cant create the virtual desktop collection.

Thank Post
    Check your error logs again, I have seen it refuse to create collections or even start the VMs before due to a permissions issue, so badly so that we had a schedule task to do a gpupdate /force every morning about 30 minutes before staff arrived.

The above problem seems to be a known issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information