+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, DPM has run out of free space - there's 22TB free so why isnt it using it?!?!?!?!?!?! in Technical; Every day without fail since installing SCDMP 2012 I come in to work to find different server backups complaining of ...
    Thank Post

DPM has run out of free space - there's 22TB free so why isnt it using it?!?!?!?!?!?!

Every day without fail since installing SCDMP 2012 I come in to work to find different server backups complaining of running out of free space.

How much space does it want/need? Who knows! It doesn't say so you have to throw a dart at a dartboard, multiply it by 10, add a random number from 1 to 1,000,000 and see if you manually modify the disk allocation to this number if it will work or not!

When you first add a new server to be protected by DPM to a protection group it goes off to the server and has a look at what space is needed. Why on earth can't it do this now? Instead of just telling me it's run out of space, it should be able to tell me how much space it needs!

There's got to be a better way DPM can do this, is this going to happen all the time people save things on our servers or am I missing a button somewhere that will stop this from happening?

The auto-grow feature is enbled but this only grows one server every 15 minutes by 10GB which is clearly not enough.

I'm let to believe Microsoft use SCDPM on an extremely large scale, they must have hundreds of people whose only job it is, is to manually modify the disk allocations each and every day.

***Rant over***

Any suggestions on how I can improve the way DPM is working?

Thank Post
    Are you sure it's the space on the DPM server ? I had similar issues with misleading messages but it was the servers themselves, that I was backing up that were the problem. There wasn't enough free space on the drives to do that backups leading me to a lot resizing of the HDs. You need at least 15 gig free usually and on some roles you will need 20 gig + free. The best way to see if this is the problem is to load Windows Backup on the servers and check the error messages there or in the event log.

Thank Post
    Fairly sure as if I manually modify the disk allocation to a very large number and then run a synchronisation job with consistency check it then backs up OK.

One thing I didnt mention in my little rant above is that it's a new installation of SCDPM that I only installed 1.5 weeks ago so it could just be teething troubles, maybe?!

Thank Post
    Your story sounds familiar and I was changing disk allocation on the server at first but since I changed all the server HDs it hasn't happened once in 6 months. It's mostly the bare metal backup jobs that caused these errors for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Your story sounds familiar and I was changing disk allocation on the server at first but since I changed all the server HDs it hasn't happened once in 6 months. It's mostly the bare metal backup jobs that caused these errors for me.
    On searching the internet on this isssue I came across lots of people saying that they were getting fed up of having to constantly babysit DPM doing this sort of thing.

How on earth do large organisations like Microsoft manage this program as they have infinately more data than I have to backup?!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information