+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Enterprise Software Thread, BackupExec 12.5- full backups 50 hours! in Technical; Have you confirmed if the antivirus is set to sn when data is being read. This could result in considerably ...

Thank Post
    Have you confirmed if the antivirus is set to sn when data is being read. This could result in considerably slow backups. I don't think the bkf file size at its current 10 GB is a problem, it is OK to leave it at that.

The main concern when the backups are slow i the fragmentation both at source and the B2D location. I would also suggest you to monitor the disk IOs

You could refer to this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3276 and even if it says for 2010, follow it as most of the suggestions are not BE version specific but very generic. I have seen them fix most performance issues.

Thanks
    Last edited by Jaydeep; 26th April 2013 at 02:07 PM.

2. Thanks to Jaydeep from:

lafleur1977 (26th April 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydeep View Post
    Have you confirmed if the antivirus is set to sn when data is being read. This could result in considerably slow backups. I don't think the bkf file size at its current 10 GB is a problem, it is OK to leave it at that.

The main concern when the backups are slow i the fragmentation both at source and the B2D location. I would also suggest you to monitor the disk IOs

You could refer to this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3276 and even if it says for 2010, follow it as most of the suggestions are not BE version specific but very generic. I have seen them fix most performance issues.

Thanks
    Yes I checked. All of our servers has a sophos policy and on access scanning is disabled. I have disabled anti-virus scanning on our servers and am just letting a few backups complete and see if that improves it.

Yeah fragmentation could be the issue but defragmenting the volumes takes days so I usually do this during closure periods. I am going to try contig and see of that works better next time.

Thanks for the link to the document, I will look through that too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydeep View Post

Thanks
    Yes I checked. All of our servers has a sophos policy and on access scanning is disabled. I have disabled anti-virus scanning on our servers and am just letting a few backups complete and see if that improves it.

Yeah fragmentation could be the issue but defragmenting the volumes takes days so I usually do this during closure periods. I am going to try contig and see of that works better next time.

Thanks for the link to the document, I will look through that too

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can't find my old batch file using contig, but it was scheduled to run about once a month I think.

The command was something like contig -s -v E:\* where e was the backup2disk drive, -s makes it recurse subdirectories and -v made it verbose.

It will take a while to run and might require a few runs through as it will try to reduce fragmentation of files as much as possible depending on the freespace it has to locate files to.

You might not see immediate benefits with it either, depending on how far through you are replacing the old B2D files which were 1GB with the 10GB ones, I think it was about a month after as the freespace before the most benefit was recieved.
    Last edited by Cache; 26th April 2013 at 06:20 PM.

6. Thanks to Cache from:

lafleur1977 (26th April 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12