+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Chucking backup exec in the bin, what to replace it with? in Technical; Honestly give up with backup exec, every single version from 12.5, 2010 and it's various revisions and 2012 have all ...
    Thank Post

Chucking backup exec in the bin, what to replace it with?

Honestly give up with backup exec, every single version from 12.5, 2010 and it's various revisions and 2012 have all been pieces of junk.

I need something that can do the following and do it well (even willing to split them off between two pieces of software if need be or to make it cheaper):
    Backup of DFS-R folders totaling around 1TB - this is where backup exec really seems to fail me
    Backup of VMware ESXi5.1, around 30VMs - Again backup exec constantly seems to be getting stuck or failing to backup various VMs
    Backup of exchange - This seems to be the one bit backup exec copes with
    Backup of AD - optionally would like it but not essential due to VM backups
    Backup of SQL - optionally would like it but not essential due to backing up in other ways

Can anyone recommend me anything?

Thank Post
    What issues are you having with Backup Exec and the DFS-R folders?

I'm in a similar position, but oddly inverse... Backup Exec is doing a fine job of backing up all of my user data (NDMP backup from my Netapp SAN) and I'm looking to use Veeam to do everything else.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For the VM backup, the solution of choice appears to be Veeam.

For normal backups, I'm using Backup Assist. Others like Microsoft's DPM system.

However, Backup Assist can do all of it in v7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    What issues are you having with Backup Exec and the DFS-R folders?

I'm in a similar position, but oddly inverse... Backup Exec is doing a fine job of backing up all of my user data (NDMP backup from my Netapp SAN) and I'm looking to use Veeam to do everything else.
    Well in 2010 it would work one week and not the next, randomly throwing up errors that symantec never appeared to be able to resolve for me, and now that I'm trying 2012 I've been hit with a bug that won't even let me backup half my DFS-R folders AT ALL. It's a known bug but their workaround doesn't fix it, seems to be that i get a problem in every version of backup exec, not to mention it randomly leaving behind snapshots of VMs when it's finished backing up which i find really really annoying.

Veeam does appear to be quite a popular choice around here, albeit looks quite expensive? i might take a look at Microsoft DPM first for normal backups seeing as that's included in our EES i think, cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I would also recommend Veeam - alternatively if you are looking for a complete hardware solution with lowish cost cloud backup take a look at Datto.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post

Veeam does appear to be quite a popular choice around here, albeit looks quite expensive?
    Are your DFS-R shares on VMs? If so - Veeam is definitely a lovely option.

I didn't find it to be expensive... cheaper than Backup Exec by the time you've factored in SQL, Exchange and other such "agents".

Also - I've found Veeam support to be very good, not that I've ever had a problem with it, more a case of me not RTFM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Are your DFS-R shares on VMs? If so - Veeam is definitely a lovely option.

I didn't find it to be expensive... cheaper than Backup Exec by the time you've factored in SQL, Exchange and other such "agents".

Also - I've found Veeam support to be very good, not that I've ever had a problem with it, more a case of me not RTFM.
    Well the physical storage for my DFS-R shares are replicated between two iSCSI devices, one of which is connected to a physical box (the backup side that isn't written to) and one is connected to a VM (the side that gets written to and everyone points to for connecting to the shares)

Soon though (summer) I'm going to be changing those shares so that they are RDMs (Raw device mappings) directly to VMware and then allocated that way.

EDIT: Emailed two companies to give me pricing for Veeam so i'll compare it to our backup exec quotes

Thank Post
    Well in that case, I'd definitely trial Veeam and just backup the VM side...

Thank Post
    mrbios, don't jump the ship yet. It looks like some of the issues you are facing are compatibility issues. VMware ESXi5.1 isn't currently supported but will be in the next release . Help is imminent. Participate in the Beta program for Backup Exec 2012 R2 here.

10. Thanks to Lenora_BE from:

speckytecky (28th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenora_BE View Post
    mrbios, don't jump the ship yet. It looks like some of the issues you are facing are compatibility issues. VMware ESXi5.1 isn't currently supported but will be in the next release . Help is imminent. Participate in the Beta program for Backup Exec 2012 R2 here.
    Any idea if the issues with backing up DFSR folders is fixed in the beta? This is our biggest problem at the moment really.

Thank Post
    If Backup Exec could iron out the bugs, it would be a great product.

I spent thousands last year on BE 2012. I always have at least 1 case open with support.

It would not be so bad if they would admit they really got it wrong with 2012.

Stay with it but I too am looking for alternatives.

Thank Post
    Don't know how well it fits, but we use a product called avamar by emc. Works well.

Thank Post
    mrbios, pantscat and geezersoft, Thank you for still being on the Backup Exec ship. As Lenora has informed, Backup Exec is soon comming up with a Beta for supporting the new platforms Server 2012 and VMWare 5.1
    Though, Symantec was a bit slow getting this out, we want to get this right from the start.

mrbios, what are the issues that you are facing with DFSR. If you have a support case opened with us, please let us know the ticket number and we will review it again to see if we can do anything to fix the issues.

I work for the Backup Exec support team and we have this small small group always available for you, no matter it is forums like this or Spiceworks or Twitter. Feel free to give us a shout anytime we will be there.

Lenora - @lmosla
    Donald - @Donaldeady
    and me - @js3012

Additionally, we have Matt - @packmatt73 and @backupexec to provide you with any Management asistance as well.
    Last edited by Jaydeep; 29th March 2013 at 10:39 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread