+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, SharePoint vs Moodle in Technical; Hello, Our IT department has been asked to re-vamp our very old sharepoint based staff intranet. I have been merrily ...

Thank Post

SharePoint vs Moodle

Hello,

Our IT department has been asked to re-vamp our very old sharepoint based staff intranet. I have been merrily proceeding with this - getting feedback from staff on the current one, experimenting with 2013, bouncing ideas of people, etc. We are now several months into this project.

The Powers That Be have asked why we don't have both the staff intranet and student VLE in the place (i.e. SharePoint or Moodle)

Moodle clearly wins out on cost, and from what I have read seems to be fairly secure when properly configured. (We are still on the old Moodle btw) However, The Powers That Be had previously dictated that most of our staff documents are hosted in SP. So a lot of that content has been gradually moved across to it.

The cost implications for moving everything to SP seem pretty steep ~142k. There is then the soft cost of getting everybody used to it.

Thankfully, hardware isn't an issue as the costs will be buried in other projects or re-use existing hardware.

My question is whether people have tried to fit all of the above into one package and how it went. And if not, why not?

Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance for any replies.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered integration? Last time I looked (which was a while ago) I think microsoft itself was developing an integration module for Moodle so it could load some webparts up.

Thank Post
    Hi

I'm trying to get my head around Sharepoint options too. Would Sharepoint Online work for you (all data hosted in Microsoft's data-centres)? The upside - it's free for schools with Office 365. However, I'd say it's unlikely to meet data protection for confidential / personal data. Might do for Intranet, depending on what you want to put on it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    However, I'd say it's unlikely to meet data protection for confidential / personal data. Might do for Intranet, depending on what you want to put on it.
    Office 365 recently got IL2 accreditation for UK Public Sector customers

Microsoft Office 365 Receives G-Cloud IL2 Accreditation from Cabinet Office for Use Across the UK Public Sector - Microsoft UK Government Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Thank Post
    Is that cost correct? 142k ? as thats a whole lot of servers/sharepoint

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodham View Post
    Is that cost correct? 142k ? as thats a whole lot of servers/sharepoint
    Sounds quite high - but then again, we were quoted 40k per year just to get Office 365 to the same standard as Google Apps.

Thank Post
    Not sure. I used the MS License Calculator and that's what it spat out over three years for 350 staff, 2000 students. We actually have 5000 students I've just been told...

Integration using Webparts is something I've seen a fair bit about today. In terms of ease of use for the average lecturer how do they compare to Moodle? Various comments I've seen point in both directions.

I see using Moodle as a potential Intranet site but I don't see it working any better as a document centre.

Thank Post
    You could look at SharePoint Online - given that it is largely free in education you'd cut out quite a bit of those license costs. You'd only need to worry about content migration.

Can't say much about Moodle at the moment, in relation to Office 365.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbmarshall View Post
    Can't say much about Moodle at the moment, in relation to Office 365.
    ... Is that can't say much as you are not in possession of knowledge about Moodle or can't say much as you'd be breaking some kind of NDA?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoatibix View Post
    I see using Moodle as a potential Intranet site but I don't see it working any better as a document centre.
    I think it would be the other way around - we use Moodle as a course management interface, it has a bunch of activities etc that are relevant to T+L. We use Google Docs as the back end to Moodle - It's integrated so that staff can use Google as the file repository and Moodle as the front end for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    ... Is that can't say much as you are not in possession of knowledge about Moodle or can't say much as you'd be breaking some kind of NDA?
    Is Moodle & Office 365 Education integration something you'd be interested in exploring?

Thank Post
    I hear exciting things are on the horizon but the MS people I spoke to were equally guarded about it, must be good if they're keeping it secret

As for Sharepoint check this out... Hub Metro by Collabco Software

Basically a SharePoint front-end that can suck data in from various platforms (Moodle, timetable, PaperCut etc) then SSO you into any of those platforms e.g. Moodle login.

That way you keep your VLE on the best platform (Moodle) but have a better entry point for student Intranet and live data

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    I hear exciting things are on the horizon but the MS people I spoke to were equally guarded about it, must be good if they're keeping it secret
    Must be, must be...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread