+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Does SCCM 2012 sp1 DPM retain share info and ntfs file permissions? in Technical; HI guys/gals, we are just setting up DPM with our new D2D2T hardware. I noticed that when we configure our ...

Thank Post

Smile Does SCCM 2012 sp1 DPM retain share info and ntfs file permissions?

HI guys/gals,

we are just setting up DPM with our new D2D2T hardware. I noticed that when we configure our protection groups, it asks if we want to backup, shares or volumes. This is on a file server.

This brings me to my question. Does DPM 2012 SP1 retain file shares & ntfs file permissions. And what is the difference between share or volume backup. i think i've confused myself into thinking that volume back up just grabs the data and doesn't retain file share/permissions, where Shares does

thanks for any info.

Thank Post
    DPM will retain share and file permissions. When you Cary out a restore, you are asked to apply original permissions or inherit for new location etc.

As for the volume or share, this functionality is there for administrators that require backup of a share and not the volume. For instance, if I backup volume d: with DPM, this will still backup the SIMS share as it resides on the d:. Similarly , if I want to only backup the SIMS folder and nothing else located on the d: then it would just be he share option.

Hope this makes sense?

Thank Post
    Hello we have DPM set up and running now, we also have a d2t. its restoring files great and maintaining NTFS file permissions. it isn't however restoring folder share settings. eg

\\server\users\students\username$

username$ is the shared folder.

if i delete the folder "username$" and restore it from dpm. it adds the ntfs file permissions but the folder is unshared. i can re-share no problems. but if i want to restore the whole of the "students" folder, i'd have to add the shares one by one.....

surly this isn't right and im doing something wrong.

Thank Post
    I have done many restores using DPM, but only files or folders within a user area.

I remember once that moved my staff user areas from one vhd to another bigger one. For this I used DPM restore because it was faster than copying the files. I do remember afterwards, that I had to re-add the share as it lost it

5. Thanks to deano from:

jahilton2002 (13th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    I have done many restores using DPM, but only files or folders within a user area.

I remember once that moved my staff user areas from one vhd to another bigger one. For this I used DPM restore because it was faster than copying the files. I do remember afterwards, that I had to re-add the share as it lost it
    Ahhh bugger....... thx for the clarification tho, scrip time then.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread