+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Creating a GAL for users on domain in Technical; Hi Guys, Im trying to create a GAL which lists only users at on our domain. Our exchange is under ...
    Thank Post

Question Creating a GAL for users on domain

Hi Guys,

Im trying to create a GAL which lists only users at on our domain. Our exchange is under an academy's exchange forest and we can see everyones email address in the global address list at the moment from all academies which is causing confusion and people are emailing the wrong academy

Im creating an Address Book Policy to restrict this but need a GAL which contains only users on our domain. What Custom Attribute do i use? We have an Address List already which users can manually select with the correct users but the ABP needs a GAL.

Any ideas?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Darylrese; 15th February 2013 at 10:05 AM.

Thank Post
    I have managed to populate the GAL by adding a Company name to everyones mailbox in exchange and then running powershell command to create a GAL with everyone who has company specified, however this isnt a great method as it means we would have to remember each time we setup a new user to add the company to their mailbox otherwise they wont show up in others GAL.

ANy ideas?

Thank Post
    Have a look at this

How to Implement Address Book Policies in Exchange 2010 SP2 Effectively | CareExchange.in _ Satheshwaran Manoharan's Blog

I am kinda in the same boat where i only want to list staff or students in seperate address lists rather than having them in the same GAL. It is working at the moment but i have to remember to include the custom attributes when i set users up in exchange.

Thank Post
    You can look into creating a shell script which is scheduled to run which sets the custom attribute. Theres also the scripting cmdley which may do this for you.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Anyone else managed to solve this one?

At the moment i have run the following command to make a GAL based on company field, bulk select mailboxes and type the company name in (school name)

Code:
    New-GlobalAddressList -Name "MCA_GAL" -IncludedRecipients MailboxUsers -ConditionalCompany [SCHOOL NAME]
    This created a GAL based on all mailboxes with our school name entered in them. The problem is you then have to add the school name to the company name field everytime you setup a new mailbox. Also you can't add a company field in a distribution group, therefore you cant have groups in a GAL either?

Is there still no way of setting a default address book in outlook 2010 via GPO for all users to another list other than a Global Address List?

The reason we have to do this is because our exchange is part of the academy forest and includes every email of every academy in the default global address list, thereofore we have created a custom one
    Last edited by Darylrese; 26th February 2013 at 04:25 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread