+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, SCCM 2012 SP1 - Installing onto Server 2012 in Technical; Hi all I'm currently running SCCM 2007 R3, and am planning my migration to 2012 SP1. I've been reading the ...

Thank Post

SCCM 2012 SP1 - Installing onto Server 2012

Hi all

I'm currently running SCCM 2007 R3, and am planning my migration to 2012 SP1.

I've been reading the excellent guides on Windows Noob but am wondering if I should 'bite the bullet' and go for a Server 2012 with SQL 2012 Standard installation.

My thinking behind this is I would like this to be a one shot migration, and if I install SCCM 2012 onto a Server 2008 R2 box I will only have to upgrade that at some point in the future.

So, has anyone here done an install onto a Server 2012 box with SQL 2012 Standard?

The only link I've found on the internet has been this one but that was back in October.

So I suppose I'm asking everyone's advice really. Would you recommend waiting a while until more people have upgraded to Server 2012, or go for an SCCM upgrade but use the Windows Noob guide and put it onto a Server 2008 R2 box.

Our SCCM 2007 R3 installation is working fine, so there is no big rush, but it is something I'd like to do soon (even if just for the ability to deploy Windows 8).

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Not done it yet - my installation is on a 2008 R2 box, to a separate 2008 R2 (SQL & Windows)
    Looking into whats needed to upgrade...

Biggest issue for me is that its a Hyper-V VM and there are issues upgrading to Windows 2012...

Thank Post
    Essentially it's just me being lazy really.

I don't want to go through the considerable pain of a migration onto a Server 2008 R2 box when I will have to go through the pain again to upgrade to Server 2012.

Conversely I know from bitter experience that if you don't get the basic SCCM installation right then you are a storing up a whole world of pain for yourself further down the line (and a lot of troubleshooting and reading of log files).

The only good thing is we aren't in a rush to deploy either Windows 8 or Server 2012.

Thank Post
    Looking at doing the same here (SCCM 2012 on Server 2012 w/SQL 2012). Aiming to try and get the new SCCM 2012 system setup within the next week to carry out some imaging in half term. Who knows if I'll actually be able to do that though!

Thank Post
    In an ideal world I'd have a week or two to dedicate myself to trying to do the install, documenting it, then sharing it on the web.

However, this is the real world so I'm hoping some other kind soul out there will be able to do it!

Thank Post
    I went for the server 2008 r2 and SQL 2008 r2 as I deployed before SP1 was released. The products are old hat but work, as well as tried and tested

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i've installed SCCM to Server 2012/SQL 2012. Installed without a hitch using the windows-noob destructions for Server/SQL 2008. Haven't actually started using he server yet had I have some Hyper-V updates I want to get done first, but I saw nothing abnormal in the setup to give me cause for concern when I finally get round to using it.

Thank Post
    can anyone fill me in on SCCM. i've never come across it and want to know more about it's benefits and what it actually does. How easy it is to set up and use etc..

cheers.

jonny

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1 View Post
    can anyone fill me in on SCCM. i've never come across it and want to know more about it's benefits and what it actually does. How easy it is to set up and use etc..

cheers.

jonny
    System Center Configuration Manager - does what it says on the tin

Pretty much complete cetralised management of everything to do with deploying computers and software...

OS deployement and imaging, windows updates, software deployment, anti-virus, etc.

Ease of install, on a scale of 1-10: 3 (with instructions from Windows-noob, -1 without)

10. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

jonnykewell1 (8th February 2013)

Thank Post
    ahh cool sounds like a pretty good tool to me. just found a virtual lab giving an introduction on how to use it. will have a play

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Tall_Paul

I installed ConfigMgr 2012 in a Windows 2012 environment in my test lab and all the various components worked fine. However, after a couple of days or so of using Windows 2012 extensively I just wanted to punch a hole in my monitor. Underneath it all, it's a superb OS but given the interface, I'm pretty sure that you're not actually supposed to want to use it! I've been setting up my production environment on 2008 R2 servers for the sake of my own sanity.

@jonnykewell1

There isn't a short answer to your question. ConfigMgr has a lot of different functions, it can be used for operating system deployment, software installation, OS/software patching, software and hardware inventories, software usage tracking, it can handle NAP, it can manage the Microsoft Antivirus product and much more besides.

However, it is not a simple product. Setting the thing up is complicated, using it is complicated. I've spent this last week and a half setting my production environment up and I'm still barely half way through it. Microsoft themselves say that it is one of their most complicated products. If you're going to use it, I would highly recommend going on the Microsoft training courses. With all due respect, having a play in a virtual lab is not enough.
    Last edited by Norphy; 8th February 2013 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    A quick question to those of you who have done a successful 2012 install and followed the Windows Noob guide for 2008 R2 installation.

I got stuck at Step 7. Install .NET 3.5.1 and WCF Activation

Can I ask how those of you who have done it did steps 7 to 9 on server 2012? I want to make sure the 'base' installation is right otherwise it's going to be a problem further on down the line.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You need WCF activation for the software update point. I installed the WCF options under .NET 4.5 and the HTTP activation stuff under NET 3.5. I don't know if that was all necessary but it worked.

Thank Post
    To anyone investigating SCCM, it is incredibly complicated. I'm done the 3 day Microsoft course and passed the exam and didn't think the course was much cop to be honest. I've had two years adminstering, fault finding and using SCCM and there is no substitute for using the product and getting your feet wet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    You need WCF activation for the software update point. I installed the WCF options under .NET 4.5 and the HTTP activation stuff under NET 3.5. I don't know if that was all necessary but it worked.
    Thanks for that. Was installing BITS and Remote Differential Compressin pretty straightforward and are you using SQL Server 2012 Standard?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast