+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Enterprise Software Thread, SCCM 2012 SP1 - Installing onto Server 2012 in Technical; I did a full install of all versions of .NET available under Features then a did a Windows update. I ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I did a full install of all versions of .NET available under Features then a did a Windows update. I just assumed that somewhere along the line either 3.51 was installed or only 3.5 was needed.

WCF took some finding but I noticed it was listed as Windows Process Activation Service under Features.

I also found Windows-noob doesn't mention installing WAIK or which components are needed. When I tried to install SCCM I got an error about WAIK being missing and listing what parts of it needed to be installed (no I can't remember what they where).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    Thanks for that. Was installing BITS and Remote Differential Compressin pretty straightforward and are you using SQL Server 2012 Standard?
    BITS and RDC are just features, you need to tick the boxes just like you did with Server 2008R2.

2012 SP1 needs the Windows 8 ADK, the new version of WAIK. You need everything apart from the assessment and SQL services.

To anyone investigating SCCM, it is incredibly complicated. I'm done the 3 day Microsoft course and passed the exam and didn't think the course was much cop to be honest. I've had two years adminstering, fault finding and using SCCM and there is no substitute for using the product and getting your feet wet.
    I've done the 2007 and 2012 administration courses, both of which were five days. For 2012, the official three day course is a installation course only. While I agree that there is no substitute for experience, I have found the courses invaluable and a very good place to start.

ADK has to be installed before ConfigMgr, it's a prerequisite.
    Last edited by Norphy; 8th February 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Thank Post
    Sounds like I will have to run through the install and see what happens! Did you install ADK before or after SCCM?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    I've done the 2007 and 2012 administration courses, both of which were five days. For 2012, the official three day course is a installation course only. While I agree that there is no substitute for experience, I have found the courses invaluable and a very good place to start.
    I think like all these things it depends very much on your instructor. I did the 2007 at Firebrand and the instructor, while she knew her stuff, was useless and uninspiring. In fact if I hadn't already installed SCCM I probably wouldn't have bothered after the course.

Conversely the instructor I had for the MCITP:SA was absolutely brilliant.
    Last edited by Tall_Paul; 8th February 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I absolutely agree. The instructor I had on my 2007 was fantastic. The 2012 one wasn't so good...

Thank Post
    Thanks for everyone (especially Norphy) who has replied so far. Hopefully I can return the favour to you all at some point, and let's hope this thread might prove useful to other people too.

I will update it when I've done my install, though I'm sure I might be back with more questions!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You're welcome! I'm going through the same thing myself right now, I guess I'm just a few days ahead of you. It's an interesting product, I think you'll find it well worth the invested time.

Thank Post
    Thought I'd add to this thread as I go through my install. Firstly, the SCCM 2012 Prerequisite Checker is very useful.

Thank Post
    Another update:

If you have your WSUS server on a separate box to your SCCM server you will need to install the WSUS Admin console on your server. The Microsoft download is no longer supported under Server 2012 so to install it you will have to:

Start PowerShell Console (as Administrator) and run : Install-WindowsFeature -Name UpdateServices-Ui
    This will install the console only and not run a post-install task. Just connect to remote WSUS Server

To run a Primary site prerequisite check, use the following command from within the BIN\X64 folder:

prereqchk /pri /sql FQDN of SQL Server /sdk FQDN of SMS Provider (in my case these were both the server I am installing SCCM 2012 onto).

Thank Post
    If, when running the SCCM 2012 prerequisite check from the installer, you get an error message stating Internet Information Services (IIS) website bindings for HTTPS communication protocol is required for some site roles. If you have selected to install site roles requiring HTTPS, please configure IIS website bindings on the specified server with a valid PKI server certificate.

You need to follow this guide from Microsoft to issue a certificate from your certification authority.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12