+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Exchange 2010 - Create contacts on mailboxes in Technical; I was wondering if it is possible to create contacts and distribution lists on staff mailboxes which are sat on ...
    Thank Post

Exchange 2010 - Create contacts on mailboxes

I was wondering if it is possible to create contacts and distribution lists on staff mailboxes which are sat on an internal exchange server.

The plan is to have student's email addresses and classes so teachers can email the whole class. I don't like the thought of doing this one by one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I was wondering if it is possible to create contacts and distribution lists on staff mailboxes which are sat on an internal exchange server.

The plan is to have student's email addresses and classes so teachers can email the whole class. I don't like the thought of doing this one by one.
    Why not just create distribution groups?

You can control emailing permissions easy enough to stop students using them. Plus what will you do when a student is moved to a different class? Or for the start of a new year?

Thank Post
    I suppose the teachers will have to set these up otherwise it will be passed to us. I think that the head is wanting individual distribution lists rather than the distribution lists sat in the main address books

Thank Post
    Why? Doest make sense. You can use ABP if needed to hide these DL from studetns.

Thank Post
    Thanks @sukh. You might be able to shed a bit more light on a matter i have. The way we are doing this at the moment is we have an onsite exchange 2010 box which will be only used for Staff, this is set to {mydomain}.co.uk. I have set up on office365 my students which is set to students.{mydomain}.co.uk. This saves me supporting all users on my exchange server where i would rather just support staff on my exchange server. All the students are hidden from the GAL on office365 this prevents users from searching for each other as this communication at the moment is only used for teacher>student commuication through their school emails.

This is where it gets a bit complicated, well to me it does. I am going to need to create Contacts in my AD and exchange server and link these accounts to their external office365 SMTP address. I would like to hide the student email contacts in the GAL on the exchange server but only show them in a seperate address list, however if i tick the only box which says hide from address lists, it hides the contacts from all address lists, rather than the GAL. Is there a way round this other than using ADSI Edit?

How do the ABP work?

Am i thinking too much into this?

Thank Post
    little confused on what u trying to do but read this first.
    Understanding Address Book Policies: Exchange 2010 Help

7. Thanks to sukh from:

timbo343 (2nd February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @sukh. I shall have a read

I understand what i am trying to do is a little complicated but i cannot see any other way round it unless im being blind.

Ok, on the onsite exchange server i have all my staff mailboxes and it is staying like this so if services to the outside world did fail we can all still keep in contact internally. I have setup an office365 account for all my post16 students at the moment to see how this goes which is firstly to be used with communication with staff.

I am wanting to get my exchange server to know about the post16 email addresses so that staff can select the contacts and email them from a specific address list but i dont want them to appear in the GAL, i only want them to appear in their own address list such as "students" so staff don't have to scroll through loads and loads of users in the GAL to find a particular member of staff as we are using OWA for our internal emails.

The only way i can get the exchange server to know about the student accounts is to create contacts in AD and give them an external SMTP address. Once i do this then they are listed in the GAL, so i tick the box hide from address lists and it hides them from the GAL but also removes them from any other address list. This i dont want to happen. I would like them to be removed from the GAL but not from the students address list. Is there a way to do this or am i making this a bigger task than what it actually is?

Thank Post
    ABP will help you with this. Straiht firward & not over complicated.

10. Thanks to sukh from:

timbo343 (2nd February 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks @sukh. Will see how i get on with this

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread