+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Papercut 13 in Technical; Just to follow-up on the security discussion, I can confirm that Print Archiving is off by default, that only the ...

Thank Post
    Just to follow-up on the security discussion, I can confirm that Print Archiving is off by default, that only the "admin" user has access to view the data when the feature is first turned on (you must explicitly add the admin right to each administrative user/group), and you can disable archiving on an individual user or printer basis. If there are any security concerns with the implementation in 13.0, please contact us at support@papercut.com ASAP.

Thank Post
    Hi Ian,
    Good product ,we supply printers into schools in the uk ( fixed cost per print - free equipment ) and recommend your product as it
    works well together giving accurate costs and controlled printing.
    Usually tell customers to find free trial by google have you got a direct link we could post up for them please ?
    Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinterPal View Post
    Usually tell customers to find free trial by google have you got a direct link we could post up for them please ?
    If you just give your customers PaperCut - Print management software used by 50k organizations to control and quota printing, the free 40 day trial is prominently displayed on the front page in a couple of places. This then leads to PaperCut for Education - Print control software software for schools, colleges and Universities. (other industries selectable at the top), and the actual downloads are available subsequently at this location: Download - PaperCut NG - PaperCut

4. Thanks to ianatpapercut from:

PrinterPal (28th January 2013)

Thank Post
    When combined with the hold/release queue functionality, does this allow admins (or delegated hold/release admins) to preview a print-job before they release it to a user? I suspect not... but it would be great if that could be added!

Regards
    Moby

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mobybrick View Post
    When combined with the hold/release queue functionality, does this allow admins (or delegated hold/release admins) to preview a print-job before they release it to a user? I suspect not... but it would be great if that could be added!
    At this stage, the archived jobs only appear in the job log (i.e. jobs that have already been released from a PaperCut-managed queue to a device). However, that's definitely the kind of feedback I'm collecting. We certainly have ideas as to where this feature can go, but taking it a step at a time and listening to customers (and the market in general) has generally been our strategy.

Thank Post
    Thanks. I've also suggested to your colleagues previously that the job logs should record who released a hold/release job, as there are sometimes issues about which user authorised a wasteful print.... but so far, I don't think that feature has been incorporated.

Ta
    Moby

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mobybrick View Post
    Thanks. I've also suggested to your colleagues previously that the job logs should record who released a hold/release job, as there are sometimes issues about which user authorised a wasteful print.... but so far, I don't think that feature has been incorporated.
    Nor has the ability to filter the printers before showing a list of pending jobs, but I don't want to go on about that (however much we desperately want that ability)!

Thank Post
    After a walk round BETT and chatting to a lot of users/resellers their seemed to be a fair amount of demand for print managers (and end users) to be able to preview jobs at a release station.

Thank Post
    fresh from .au
    5 February 2013 - PaperCut MF 13.0 (Build 20822)

This is a bugfix release for version 13.0 and contains the following changes:

Fixes:

Print Archiving:
    Fixed a problem where some Windows 2008 Servers (non R2 systems) may not detect the Ghost Trap viewer software used to assist Print Archiving.
    Improved image generation for the Xerox Global PCL5 driver.
    Fixed some messages that did not display correctly in some non-latin languages.
    Added a warning to check if you're installing a version you are not currently licensed for.
    Fixed a problem where print scripts using the common print script include file would sometimes incorrectly report an error.
    Fixed a rare number rounding issue in CSV reports.
    When running an unattended silent mode install (/silent), do not display the VM information message dialog.
    Printer compatibility improvements:

Improved page-level color detection for Kyocera PostScript printers on Linux.
    Improved support for Xerox printers on Mac print servers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ianatpapercut View Post
    Good eye; it's one of the many potential integration projects we've got. At this point the critical mass isn't quite there to justify it in comparison to something like Print Archiving, but adding functionality to authenticate and retrieve GCP jobs, then insert them into already PaperCut-managed queues would be a great major feature.
    Doubling every 3months. and thats just the chrome users:
    Google Announces 2,000 Schools Use Chromebooks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Doubling every 3months. and thats just the chrome users:
    Google Announces 2,000 Schools Use Chromebooks
    I am no expert but i expect when using GCP there is no way to identify who sent the job so not a lot PaperCut can do. Happy to be corrected

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ted View Post
    I am no expert but i expect when using GCP there is no way to identify who sent the job so not a lot PaperCut can do. Happy to be corrected
    On the contrary, there is an entire API available for integration with product like papercut:
    https://developers.google.com/cloud-print/docs/devguide

Thank Post
    hi Ian, I would love to see some easier way of printing directly from Google Apps edu to PaperCut. Right now users have to download a PDF and go thru numerous dialog boxes to print a Google Doc. And if they make the mistake of choosing the CloudPrint option, the job never comes out at all. Maybe a browser plugin could handle some of these intermediate tasks?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by misterfriendly View Post
    hi Ian, I would love to see some easier way of printing directly from Google Apps edu to PaperCut. Right now users have to download a PDF and go thru numerous dialog boxes to print a Google Doc. And if they make the mistake of choosing the CloudPrint option, the job never comes out at all. Maybe a browser plugin could handle some of these intermediate tasks?
    There are a lot of different cloud-based productivity suites that aren't very well geared towards managed printing. At this stage we're trying to track what is actually going to be viable to invest engineering resources in the long term, so your feedback is quite useful there. We're currently not looking at going down the browser plugin route, due to the browser support requirements, etc.

Thank Post
    hi Ian,

Thanks for your response. Seems to me that, at least in the edu space, Google Docs is by far the leading cloud-based suite — it works, has enough functionality for most users, and it's free. Printing is the biggest headache (as usual). I'm not a programmer, so I'll defer to your judgement that a browser plugin isn't the best solution. But I think I speak for a lot of school IT admins when I wish for a simpler print workflow from Google Docs to PaperCut. Maybe Google CloudPrint could be part of the solution, or maybe it's too consumer-grade to be of much use. Put this in your 'vote for a feature' blog and I think you'll see a lot of interest.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast