+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Enterprise Software Thread, System Center: Where to start? in Technical; On the other hand, my collections are broadly similar to my OUs, just a more generalised version thereof - so ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the other hand, my collections are broadly similar to my OUs, just a more generalised version thereof - so (for example) instead of the individual languages rooms listed in AD, my CM collection is just "MFL". Software tends to be common to departments so this is most useful to me. The collections are populated by querying AD.

The more I use CM though, the more I drift away from that and start using collections for specific software created by querying for AD groups e.g. AppDeploy - Adobe CS5. I've ultimately settled on preferring my collections page to be messy and overlong in favour of keeping my software deployment monitoring page neat and easily readable.
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 30th January 2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: ARGH I CANNOT WRITE TOO GOOD TODAY

2. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

alan-d (30th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ours are similar. Our collections mirror our AD structure, but with additions: for instance we've got an OU for each ICT suite and therefore a collection for each, but a collection also called "ICT Suites" which has them all in. Also have some collections for random bits of software that might need to go to random machines and add those random machines to that collection. There's no limit.

Thank Post
    I use the different approach and use WMI queries to setup my collections. We have three promary schools within our AD structure and machines are named using a two letter prefix for the school. So in my queries, i just look for the prefix with a wildcard.
    ICT rooms follow process by using the room name in the machines netbios name.

Thank Post
    Tired a few times to install SCCM 2012 SP1 on 2012 (server and sql) and the updates fails and becomes a bother.

Would like to role out SCCM and SCEP but from previous trials have not managed to get it working out of the box.

Are they any good guides available for SCCM / FEP

Thank Post
    Windows-noob.com do a excellent line in guides, covering most aspects, System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Guides - Configuration Manager 2012 - www.windows-noob.com

James

Thank Post
    SCCM is in my long term plan, so a quick question - can a machine be in more than one collection? For example I would want a collection for IWB workstations, with the IWB software and SIMS in particular, but I would also want the IWB machine to exist within, for example, a Science Dept collection, so it could receive the subject specific software.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    SCCM is in my long term plan, so a quick question - can a machine be in more than one collection?
    Absolutely, that's part of the genius of it
    Also collections can be dynamic so can change based on certain criteria!

9. Thanks to sparkeh from:

clareq (16th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,436 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clareq View Post
    SCCM is in my long term plan, so a quick question - can a machine be in more than one collection? For example I would want a collection for IWB workstations, with the IWB software and SIMS in particular, but I would also want the IWB machine to exist within, for example, a Science Dept collection, so it could receive the subject specific software.
    Absolutely. You can do collections by querying OU, group membership, as a collection of other collections, or even just as direct includes (although the last is ugly). I have dozens of collections, because I'd rather have a messy collections page, with a collection created for each application I want installed, so that my deployments monitoring is neat and simple

11. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

clareq (16th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deano View Post
    I use the different approach and use WMI queries to setup my collections. We have three promary schools within our AD structure and machines are named using a two letter prefix for the school. So in my queries, i just look for the prefix with a wildcard.
    ICT rooms follow process by using the room name in the machines netbios name.
    This is what I do too, as well as query by ad group membership

Thank Post
    I've finally got my head around SCCM this week after realizing i hadn't installed SP1, and wow what a difference SP1 makes!!!!

Luckily while looking for an issue deploying SP1 i found lots of "known issues" so as soon as i got it installed i fixed all the known issues in quick time and now that it's up and running it feels so much quicker than it ever did before!

My question for this thread, I have app-v 4.6 running nicely, i've ported over all my Apps to v5 and only just noticed that SCCM has an App-V section within it since the upgrade. Now i have an App-V 5 server up and running but i just haven't deployed the app-v 5 client yet (planned for summer)......do i need to stick with that option or can i implement app-v 5 entirely through SCCM using the apps i've already got?

Sorry to hijack the thread but i saw it as relevant to the OPs requirement for running app-v, and may even provide useful infromation. I don't really understand what the intention is behind App-V inside SCCM yet.

EDIT: I tell you what, to all the nay sayers, it's not as clunky and problematic as you might think. Once you get your head around certain aspects things start to click and make soooo much sense! I hated SCCM when i first started, it confused the hell out of me, but now everythings coming together nicely and I understand the relationship between each section and all its settings.
    Last edited by mrbios; 17th May 2013 at 09:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    can I implement App-V 5 entirely through SCCM
    Yes. Your App-V server is no longer required.

System Center 2012 Configuration Manager with Service Pack 1 has built-in support for App-V 4.6 SP1 and newer, up to App-V 5.0. Providing a comprehensive deployment and update service for virtual applications that is built for enterprise deployments. Service Pack 1 for Configuration Manager 2012 reduces the App-V infrastructure to the App-V Sequencer and Client and takes the place of the management, publishing, and streaming components in a typical App-V full infrastructure. Integrating Configuration Manager with App-V consolidates application delivery into one infrastructure and provides additional benefits over the App-V infrastructure.
    Integration of App-V 5.0 with Configuration Manager 2012 SP1 supports the following App-V 5.0 features:

• Virtual Application Connections: Enables grouping together one or more virtual application packages to provide communication, while maintaining isolation from other virtual applications and the operating system.
    • Virtual Application Extensions: Enable specific well-defined application extensions between physical-and-virtual and virtual-to-virtual applications. Some extensions are shortcuts, file type associations, and protocol handlers (URL redirection).
    • Dynamic Configuration Files: Enable configuration of specific extensions on a per-target basis. With dynamic configuration files, different settings like database connectivity, shortcuts, File Type Associations, and protocol handlers can be defined so the application only has to be sequenced once, and can be deployed to different users or systems with a configuration customized specifically for them.

App-V 5.0 continues to provide the isolation and virtualization features that have provided benefits to organizations. Please read the documentation listed in the Introduction section to find out more about App-V 5.0.
    Source: Integrating Virtual Application Management with App-V 5 and Configuration Manager 2012 SP1

15. Thanks to Arthur from:

mrbios (17th May 2013)

Thank Post
    That's fantastic, this is going to be an interesting summer, i'm effectively going to be able to delete 8 of my 32 virtual machines!!!! dayummmmmmmm! (3 proxy servers, 1 isa server, 1 WDS server, 1 appv server, 2 mail filters and maaaybe 1 more but i'm not certain)

EDIT: any links to configuring app-v through SCCM? I've had a brief look but couldn't find anything comprehensive
    Last edited by mrbios; 17th May 2013 at 10:40 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123