+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, SCCM 2012 in Technical; Hey! We have just purchased EES and I have included System Center 2012. Who is using system Center 2012 and ...

Thank Post

SCCM 2012

Hey!

We have just purchased EES and I have included System Center 2012.

Who is using system Center 2012 and how are you using it?

Is configuration Manager the feature piece to install. I do not wish to install every component of system Center 2012...As I am 100% sure I don't need to. We are going to work towards a BYOD future and would like to know how other are using this product.

Do most use System Center Configuration Manager? Is this all you really need?

Please feel free to flood this post with everything you are doing with this product.

Many thanks
    Last edited by rpettit; 10th January 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    SCCM is quite a beast. We cut down lots of separate systems we had and gave them all to SCCM. We use it all the time for.

• Operating System Deployment
    • Installing Software
    • Windows Updates
    • Managing the Antivirus Product that is in SCCM, you will be able to get this for free
    • Reports on machines

I wouldn't have a network without it now. I would set a good chunk of time to learn the software. Its very handy for installing software on servers, you can get it to install at a specific time out of hours.

For BYOD i don't think it will help much. Its more for managing internal devices.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 10th January 2013 at 11:47 PM.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

TheScarfedOne (12th January 2013)

Thank Post
    We have SCCM for the same reasons as FN-GM. Just installed SP1 which I have got to say was easier than I thought it would of been! I agree on the time needed to learn how to use it to its full potential.

I wouldn't suggest using this with a BYOD device, just because you have to have a client installed on the machine and as your school wont "own" the device you might get into sticky waters with requesting software to be installed... thats just my thoughts

Thank Post
    Any Do's and Don't?

Or is it a case of learning the software apposed to do's and don't?

Does the software update servers remove the need for a wsus instance running?

How do you deploy software? Is it a case of .msi like in GP or is it so much more?!

I am looking forward to the installation and configuration of this product. Should I just install the configuration manager or will I need any other parts of the suite?

Thank Post
    The software update server uses the WSUS role, along with the OS deployment using the WDS role. Theres not really any do's and dont's... that to be said you do want to install it on a dedicated server that has at least the recommended requirements (ignore minimum... unless you want to wait for ages to get logged in)

I would begin with just configuration manager, this will allow you to manage workstations and servers (deploy updates, software, windows images etc) you can deploy pretty much anything. MSIs are the easiest as its a case of import and deploy to a collection, you can also use scripts or exe's both of these take a little more work to import but the wizards guide you through.

When you do anything make sure you deploy it to the distribution points (even if you only have 1 server!) this has caught me out countless times, I'm now in the habit of import then distribute and then if i have to make any changes updating the distribution points again...

This site is good for guides (System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Guides - Configuration Manager 2012 - www.windows-noob.com) we set our system up following the standalone primary site setup.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    Any Do's and Don't?

Or is it a case of learning the software apposed to do's and don't?

Does the software update servers remove the need for a wsus instance running?

How do you deploy software? Is it a case of .msi like in GP or is it so much more?!

I am looking forward to the installation and configuration of this product. Should I just install the configuration manager or will I need any other parts of the suite?
    WSUS is a Prerequisite for the osftware updating.

For software deployment its much more. You can use any format that supports silent install not just MSI. For example the VLC .exe installer i push using SCCM. I set ours to only install software in a certain time frame, out of ours not to cause disruption.

Install can be tricky, you need to read an install guide carefully. Escpecially in getting SQL configured correctly. This guide is a good one - System Center 2012 Configuration Manager Guides - Configuration Manager 2012 - www.windows-noob.com

Thank Post
    Definitely worth the effort! I have worked through windowsnoob guides and read other blogs to get my setup working

Thank Post
    We use it here for Anti-Virus as well as deploying some software that we cant deploy through GPO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Use SCCM daily, love it. Windows updates go through it now but the best aspect is being able to push software, any software - no more dodgily packaged MSIs here. SC Endpoint Protection is also brilliant, not had any problems with it as our AV yet, and it's saving us £2k a year now we're not paying for Symantec EP.

Thank Post
    SCCM is great for imaging, the automation and reporting makes life so much easier once you get it all set up. I was using 2007 so can't comment on 2012 but seems pretty similar, just a prettier GUI which is always good

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread