+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Enterprise Software Thread, Vsphere upgrade in Technical; Originally Posted by Netman Doesn't matter about esx - the upgrade is capable of upgrading your servers to esxi too ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Doesn't matter about esx - the upgrade is capable of upgrading your servers to esxi too - so just do vcenter first and then migrate off one host to stage and then remediate the upgrade with the upgrade manager baseline you've created and assigned. I did mine from 4.0 to 5.0 and it takes care of the esx to esxi issue for you. It's all in the upgrade instructions or readme somewhere - I recall reading it at the time.
    Is this with a fresh install of VCenter? Our current Vcenter is 2003 r2 so its not 64bit.

Thank Post
    Ive just noticed that i cant use the data migration tool on 5.1 as it doesn't exist on the install disk, and reading the notes, i will have to install 5.0 first, migrate, and then upgrade to 5.1

Is that how everyone else has done it?

Thank Post
    I've just upgraded from 4.1 to 5.0 (avoided 5.1 for the moment due to a few issues I'd been reading about,). It took a lot longer than half a day!

Here is what I did:

1. Upgrade the VCenter server (this is quick - takes about half an hour).
    2. Upgrade each ESXi host. This wasn't quick, we have three so this involved putting each one into maintenance mode (so vmotioning off all the VM's on each host), rebooting and upgrading. Another side effect is you are supposed to disconnect the ESXi host from your SAN so you don't risk formatting any datastores. This took a loooong time due to our rubbish server racks!
    3. Upgrade VMFS on each of our datastores. The recommended way of doing this is to purge each datastore, and recreate it rather than just updating. Again, this took a looong time (a lot of storage VMotioning).
    4. Upgrade virtual tools on each VM (which requires a reboot).
    5. Upgrade the virtual hardware on each VM. The VM must be powered down to do this.
    6. Finally our VSphere Management Agent had to be recreated and linked back to our UPS.

I didn't use Update Manager (though I will for the next upgrade) but the total time spent doing all the above was several days (and a lot had to be done out of hours too due to the VM reboots).

It's simple enough, and well documented (I used this excellent guide) but don't underestimate the time required.

4. Thanks to Tall_Paul from:

psydii (23rd January 2013)

Thank Post
    I'm just testing the vcenter upgrade to new server using the data migration tool which works to 5.0 when I then try and upgrade to 5.1 I get errors that relate to ssl Certs being out of date. When I look at the Certs they expired in 2010!

I'm now trying to read up on how to resolve this issue. They don't make it easy!

Thank Post
    Managed to upgrade successfully on a test vm to 5.1. However just found out that esxi 5.1 isn't supported on HP DL380 G5 servers! Great!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    Do you mean a brand new database and configuration as well? Also, have VMware now done away with the maximum of 32gb RAM per host?
    "VMware vSphere 5 licensing removes all restrictions on physical cores and physical RAM."
    http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

Though I suspect the edition most of us run has a two processor per host limit, in exchange for great pricing.

Thank Post
    I'm just testing the vcenter upgrade to new server using the data migration tool which works to 5.0 when I then try and upgrade to 5.1 I get errors that relate to ssl Certs being out of date. When I look at the Certs they expired in 2010!

I'm now trying to read up on how to resolve this issue. They don't make it easy!
    I've been reading up on this as that's what I've got too.

Apparently it has been done successfully but, as you say, isn't supported by HP or VMWare.

Maybe, if you have the capacity, try it on one host and see how you get on?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    I've been reading up on this as that's what I've got too.

Apparently it has been done successfully but, as you say, isn't supported by HP or VMWare.

Maybe, if you have the capacity, try it on one host and see how you get on?
    I did sort it out and now works but it sucks that 5.1 isnt on the DL380 G5 compatibility list!

Thank Post
    I did sort it out and now works but it sucks that 5.1 isnt on the DL380 G5 compatibility list!
    It is a pain. So you have successfully installed 5.1 on your DL380s then?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall_Paul View Post
    It is a pain. So you have successfully installed 5.1 on your DL380s then?
    No i didn't get that far!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I seem to remember the is the CPU chips which are not supported in the DL380 G5's and to be honest G5's are probably near retirement age (there has been three generations since). You will also find that things like RAM for these servers is rather expensive.

With regards to allowing the auto-update from ESX to ESXI I have done it but then fine odd little issues and prefer to blank wipe and install again.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    I seem to remember the is the CPU chips which are not supported in the DL380 G5's and to be honest G5's are probably near retirement age (there has been three generations since). You will also find that things like RAM for these servers is rather expensive.

With regards to allowing the auto-update from ESX to ESXI I have done it but then fine odd little issues and prefer to blank wipe and install again.
    RAM definatly expensive! £400 for 16gb

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    RAM definatly expensive! £400 for 16gb
    Exactly - depending on your requirements for RAM it can actually be cheaper to by new servers with lots of RAM then it is to upgrade the RAM alone.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12