+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Another SCCM question ... relating to OS Deployment in Technical; Hi all, Having played around with SCCM for a few weeks I think I now have most of our software ...

Thank Post

Another SCCM question ... relating to OS Deployment

Hi all,

Having played around with SCCM for a few weeks I think I now have most of our software packages on and we are pretty much ready to start trialling a deployment. My main question now is about the best way to go about deploying software.

I would ideally like to install the majority of software before the user gets to log-on just to simplify things for the end-user. I would rather not create a different TS for every single build we have as if we add something we want on all machines we are going to have to add this to around 10ish task sequences in total. This has lead me to wondering if this can be done using variables within the task sequence so it will only install Software blocks if certain conditions are met. Can this be done and if so is anyone using it in this way? Some details on what exactly you are picking up from the computer would be great. Do you use a variable set in SCCM (at build-time?) or do you use something along the lines of computer name?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use ad groups which are then scoped as collections in SCCM. You can then target the software at a collection, and the software will be dropped onto the machine. Make sure you set your install to be "As soon as possible" as well as a schedule you wish, and the install type "Required" with "Run if failed previous" which prevents needless reinstalls.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just re read, the same principal will work where the query to run the section of the TS can be collection, or the start of a machine name, or ou I thnk.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 839 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I replied to this first thing this morning, yet it's not showing

Our collections mirror our AD structure as a base (AD structure is grouped for classrooms per site, then particular rooms if they have multiple machines). On top of that, collections also for groups (so all ICT rooms, both libraries, all Science computers etc)

For odds and sods, we also set up collections based on software - for instance "Serif computers" if only some machines were to have it.
    All software therefore is obviously deployed by machine rather than user (which isn't a good idea for edu) to relevant collections. As above, all deployments are required regardless of schedule.
    If you need to script anything then it all works via WMI anyway - plenty of built in queries to use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread