+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, System Centre Virtual Machine Manager 2012 - Error (2911) in Technical; ...

Thank Post

System Centre Virtual Machine Manager 2012 - Error (2911)

We are having an issue with SCVMM 2012; specifically in relation to when creating new VMs.

If I create a VM; either with a blank disk or by a template we get:

Error (2911)
    insufficient resources are available to complete this operation on the {name of server} server.
    Not enough storage is available to complete this operation (0x8007000E)

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the virtual machine host has sufficient memory and disk space to perform this action. Try the operation again.

We have a 3 node Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 configured in a failover cluster. The current VMs are running ok.

After some investigating and starting from basic level upwards; I can successfully create a VM using Hyper-V manager and in turn I can then use Failover Cluster Manager to make it highly available.
    It then appears within the SCVMM 2012 console.

The issue seems to be if there are; or you attempt to change the Network configuration of the VM within SCVMM 2012.
    If the VM has a [network adapter] installed but with connectivity set to “not connected” it creates ok.
    But if you then go back in to change the [network adapter] settings to “connected to” and select the appropriate Logical and Virtual Networks the Job/Task fails.

Within Hyper-V manager I can change the [network adapter] settings (or any other settings) successfully with no errors.
    I have also checked with Hyper-V manager that the [virtual network settings] are consistent across the 3 nodes (along with all other settings).
    It just seems to be within SCVMM 2012.

Microsoft’s help for System Centre 2012 in general is still very sparse, and I can only seem to find websites that show the complete list of error codes.
    I found one article relating to WMI, and I have checked that on the Nodes and SCVMM 2012 computer, but with no success.

It is looking like permissions?? Problem…

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 17th December 2012 at 01:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    We are having an issue with SCVMM 2012; specifically in relation to when creating new VMs.

If I create a VM; either with a blank disk or by a template we get:

Error (2911)
    insufficient resources are available to complete this operation on the {name of server} server.
    Not enough storage is available to complete this operation (0x8007000E)

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the virtual machine host has sufficient memory and disk space to perform this action. Try the operation again.

We have a 3 node Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 configured in a failover cluster. The current VMs are running ok.

After some investigating and starting from basic level upwards; I can successfully create a VM using Hyper-V manager and in turn I can then use Failover Cluster Manager to make it highly available.
    It then appears within the SCVMM 2012 console.

The issue seems to be if there are; or you attempt to change the Network configuration of the VM within SCVMM 2012.
    If the VM has a [network adapter] installed but with connectivity set to “not connected” it creates ok.
    But if you then go back in to change the [network adapter] settings to “connected to” and select the appropriate Logical and Virtual Networks the Job/Task fails.

Within Hyper-V manager I can change the [network adapter] settings (or any other settings) successfully with no errors.
    I have also checked with Hyper-V manager that the [virtual network settings] are consistent across the 3 nodes (along with all other settings).
    It just seems to be within SCVMM 2012.

Microsoft’s help for System Centre 2012 in general is still very sparse, and I can only seem to find websites that show the complete list of error codes.
    I found one article relating to WMI, and I have checked that on the Nodes and SCVMM 2012 computer, but with no success.

It is looking like permissions?? Problem…

Any help would be appreciated.
    MYK-IT,

This past weekend I ran MS updates on my VM Cluster (SCVmm 2008 R2). I'm running into the same issue that you're having. Did you recently run updates on the machines? I also changed the resource reserves for the HV servers after the update was complete.

I was able to work around the problem by connecting the virtual machine to the virtual network in Hyper-V Manager on the physical HV box the VM is deployed on.

Haven't run into any issues yet by forcing it this way. I'm suspecting that the issue is in the resource availablity reporting of SCVMM 2008.

Hope that helps... If you come up with a resolution could you let me know?

Bill

3. Thanks to BillNeumeyer from:

MYK-IT (18th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply; I was also narrowing the issue down to the MS Updates that I also installed last week too!

I can still successfully create and manage VMs through Hyper-V MMC, and can make them highly available through Fail Over Cluster Manager. SCVMM still allows us to do everything except when changing the configuration in relation to the networking.

I was thinking that the next step might be to uninstall the MS updates that were applied last week (if possible) and possibly removing “Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB2506143)“ initially as that is linked to WMI and most “communication” fault relating articles stress how important WMI is for everything to function. Although the WMI tests I have followed have completed successfully.

I am going to confirm if we have entitlement to a Microsoft Technet Support Call to escalate this further.

Mike.

Oh, and welcome to Edugeek!

Thank Post
    A Support Request has been submitted to Microsoft for assistance.

I will let you know the outcome.

Thank Post
    Lastest update for you all.

Microsoft originally recommended applying the hotfixes contained with these KBs:
    KB: Recommended hotfixes for Microsoft System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager - System Center: Virtual Machine Manager Engineering Team Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
    Recommended hotfixes for Microsoft System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager

Unfortunately, that did not fix the problem.

I was then advised to uninstall:
    Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems (KB2506143)

Which was my original hunch that may have caused the issue.

Upon uninstalling, and rebooting all the Nodes and SCVMM 2012 Server, SCVMM 2012 was then unable to communicate with the Hosts, with an error relating to WinRM. After searching numerous KB's etc, this was rectified by stopping the WinRM service on all the Nodes and the SCVMM 2012 Server, then restarting by typing "WinRM qc" from an elevated command prompt.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonjor/ar...eshooting.aspx
    The SCVMM Agents were also restarted accordingly.

We can now amend/change the properties of VMs within SCVMM 2012 and deploy VMs using VM Templates.

I hope this helps anyone else, and that Microsoft fix their update(s) or at least place an advisory on KB2506143.
    Last edited by MYK-IT; 20th December 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    old thread i know but thought i would give you the answer.

when creating a new VM under hardware you will see it sets availability to medium for the host. this is fine if you are using local storage but im guessing you are using a csv due to clustering. in that case you must set the VM to high availability to enable it to see the san storage.

you also require winrm 3 on your 2008 r2 hyperv hosts for performance data to be retrieved or you will see errors every 2 minutes in your scvmm 2012 logs. im guessing you have put the scvmm new agents on aswell.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread