+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Enterprise Software Thread, Kaspersky - Have you used them? in Technical; I've been using Kaspersky on my parents Windows box for years now. I was given sound advice when I was ...

Thank Post

Kaspersky - Have you used them?

I've been using Kaspersky on my parents Windows box for years now. I was given sound advice when I was much younger, from a much older friend, who I idolised for his programming background, which was to use Kaspersky instead of Norton which I was using at the time.

However, I've been interested in Kaspersky from the perspective of a business for some time now, more so than ever after reading IT Threat Evolution: Q2 2012 - Securelist.

Has anyone here had any experience with Kaspersky in a corporate environment?
    - what's the customer service like?
    - is it easily deployable throughout the company?
    - what pitfalls have you encountered?
    - Compare Kaspersky with something such as Sophos, F-Secure or the revamped Security Essencials and how does it perform in terms of flexibility, features and how do you feel it performs?

They seem to be in the news so much these days. I was impressed that they were called upon to assist with the FLAME virus when I consider how modest they are with their advertising. Symantec, McAfee, TrendMicro are normally well known examples. But when talking to most people I know, many people have zero experience with Kaspersky.

Thanks very much for the feedback, I look forward to reading the respond from anyone with experience.

D

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,702 Posts
    At home, I use MSE everywhere. Why pay when there's a perfectly acceptable free option available? It's free, fast and efficient.

At school we use Symantec. It's been doing the job without bringing my network to its knees

Thank Post
    Hi elsiegee40,

Define: perfectly acceptable. Although, I'm happy that it's free, fast and efficient. I'm aware that very recently MSE has been improved again. But it has, imo, years of reputation to shake off so I might wait for this maturer version to be tested properly, by others, before I use it myself for anything critical. I just wasn't convinced by the heuristics they added in 2010 and this assumption was affirmed by tales of viruses slipping by.

It's great that you say 'Why pay when there's a perfectly acceptable free option available? It's free, fast and efficient.'. That's precisely what I think when using BSD lol.

What I love about Symantec is their excellent detection rate. It really is up there with the best. But at the sacrifice of system resources is leaves a lot to be desired for me.

Thanks for your input.

D

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,702 Posts
    I'm not sure where your antipathy to MSE stems from, but it has stood up to industry tests against paid opposition in the same market. Many of us edugeeks swear by it. No solution is infallible, but if it keeps the bulk of the nasties out in a domestic environment it is doing the right job.

I have been around for many years and tried most things. None of them is perfect, but MSE does not slow things down like its expensive cousins and keeps things clean. I am not willing to pay for AV domestically now.

The jury is out where I am concerned for school/ business use. Symantec does carry a performance payload, but at least it makes a reasonable stab of the job. I am yet to be convinced that, in business/schools, Kaspersky is as good.
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 27th November 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Never used Kaspersky other than the Rescue disks, etc so cannot comment on how it performs in a network environment. We are currently using VIPRE which is available via GFI Business Antivirus with a Small Footprint. We have found it very easy to setup/manage and includes lots of utilities to aid deployment. Definitely worth a look

Thank Post
    elisie', to give that impression was not my intrention. If it helps you feel I'm less apathetic towards MSE I do appreciate it's exploit detection. Any professional view of MSE would be based on my experience in 2009/10, user comments, feedback from friends and reviews from reputable sites (Which do title it as the best free antivirus and as you say compare it to paid-for security suite solutions like McAfee. I think both you and I would agree that McAfee is not worth paying for considering its ability to detect exploits or malware.). When you get around to testing Kaspersky I'd like very much to hear your input on Kaspersky.

Matt, thanks for that, I'm always interested in researching something new. What was it that attraced your org' to it?

Thank Post
    I've not used Kaspersky in a business environment, but I do use their IS product at home (on my PC and those of my parents).

I'm posting, as I know that Kaspersky are one of the databases checked by the MS Forefront Online Protection for Exchange for the 'latest' virus definitions. The others I know which are checked are Symantec and Authentium.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Enterprise Software. Whilst it is about security related software, this thread is not directly security related.

Thank Post
    I use MSE at home, cant fault it.

Moving over to MSE for school use soon too, had mcaffe and its pretty much meant reformatting a laptop every week!

Ive used Kaspersky before at home but i didnt find it that good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gtcodave View Post
    elisie', to give that impression was not my intrention. If it helps you feel I'm less apathetic towards MSE I do appreciate it's exploit detection. Any professional view of MSE would be based on my experience in 2009/10, user comments, feedback from friends and reviews from reputable sites (Which do title it as the best free antivirus and as you say compare it to paid-for security suite solutions like McAfee. I think both you and I would agree that McAfee is not worth paying for considering its ability to detect exploits or malware.). When you get around to testing Kaspersky I'd like very much to hear your input on Kaspersky.

Matt, thanks for that, I'm always interested in researching something new. What was it that attraced your org' to it?
    No entirely sure to be honest! It was something that our company director came across and introduced to replace McAfee which has caused us issues in the past. From what I have seen it is very to setup, configure and deploy (particularly with the inbuilt utilities for removing alternative AV agents on workstations).

Thank Post
    Symantc is good I used to have that on a network years back on RM CC2, Sophos here at the office and at home I use Avast / MSE

Thank Post
    I used Kaspersky some times ago but wasn't satisfied in it. Nowadays i'm using Nod32.

Thank Post
    We were using Kaspersky up to September, now we're running Microsoft Forefront Endpoint through SCCM and it's much better. Much quicker, updates are more reliable, deployment is easy and works first time.

Our EES agreement covers the Licensing too, so it doesn't cost us a penny.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We're in the same situation as Ben604. We were using Kaspersky up until the end of the summer term last year and we've moved onto ForeFront EndPoint Protection this year.

Kaspersky was OK to begin with, certainly better than what we were using before (FSecure) but as time went on the desktop client got heavier and heavier, the scanning engine got slower and it seemed to me that the central admin console got worse with each successive release. The desktop client had a ton of features in it but I always felt that they were more suited to an "Internet Suite" style security products rather than a corporate AV client.

When we move to FEP, it was a relief to have a AV client that was just an AV client and not trying to be a million other things too.

The support that I got from Kaspersky was always good though. I won't get that from Microsoft.
    Last edited by Norphy; 10th December 2012 at 01:48 PM.

Thank Post
    We have been using Kaspersky in our Primary school for over three years now, others I know recommended Kaspersky!
    Previously we have used Symantec and Sophos and found them a bit rubbish as the years have gone on.
    We had a price from our local lea which was ridiculous, but then got a very good price from a supplier called Network IT 24.

If your using another brand at the moment you will get a much better price off Kaspersky too!
    I think they want you to see how good there product is compared to the other top AV providers!

I love the management console and its so easy to deploy the software to clients!
    and the support is great too!!! not that its been needed much!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast