+ Post New Thread
Enterprise Software Thread, Anyone using SharePoint 2010? in Technical; Just wondering if anyone is using SharePoint 2010 in their school, and what they use it for and how they ...
    Thank Post

Anyone using SharePoint 2010?

Just wondering if anyone is using SharePoint 2010 in their school, and what they use it for and how they use it and how it is used y staff etc?

Thanks

Thank Post
    We use it for our intranet pages. There is one contributor/maintainer of the site (me!). Content that is updated by other members of staff is done by having them save word documents as html and using the site viewer webpart to drag this content into the appropriate areas on the site. This was by far the easiest method for staff to get content into the beast that is SP.

Thank Post
    We use it as our school 'Learning Gateway' - we don't advocate it as a VLE as we know it has it's limitations, but each department has a section to share notes, annoucements, resources, links etc. We removed our shared areas and all teaching resources have been uploaded to our Sharepoint install.

We also use SIMS webparts to provde data to our staff, students and parents.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We also use SIMS webparts to provde data to our staff, students and parents.
    When you say you use SIMS webparts what does this entail?

Usual attendance, grades etc?

If you don't mind answering i was told that SIMS don't do the webparts anymore, if they do at what cost?

Don't really want to use SIMS LG

Thank Post
    Yes we do. And I hate it.

You are far better off with either a standard CMS, or a VLE/CMS combo.

Sharepoint is like treacle to work with. For anyone who has ever used HTML/CSS/JS/PHP or even ASP it is so frustratingly and unnecessarily complex, fiddly and obscure.

So many things out there either have NTLM built in or can be hacked about to enable NTLM either through official mods or unofficial "hacks" that sharepoint is just not worth your time.

We have it to run Scholaris (Which IMHO is pants) which is a VLE/CMS/Website/Attendance&Behaviour logging "system".

A simple PHP or even ASP site would be so, so much simpler and more secure (IIS... Please...) and at the end of the day offer you more functionality. Sharepoint comes with more functionality out of the box but ultimately it is fundamentally limited because it relies on WebParts (And installing new features to sharepoint? Well you better get used to obscure PowerShell commands and syntax (And no, I am not a point and click lover, if anything I prefer command lines for servers, but PowerShell? Lol....))

Just... *head explode*

I plead with you. Don't do it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gpjt View Post
    When you say you use SIMS webparts what does this entail?

Usual attendance, grades etc?

If you don't mind answering i was told that SIMS don't do the webparts anymore, if they do at what cost?

Don't really want to use SIMS LG
    SIMS certainly still do the webparts and are releasing updated webparts in the next release or the one after to support iPADs better etc, so it certainly seems like its something they are still looking at supporting.

We use webparts for Attendance registers, behaviour, achievment, tracking data and profiles (school reports). We haven't up until this year provided staff with client access to SIMS and everything for the last 4 years has been done via sharepoint and the webparts. Can't remember the cost of SIMS web parts as it was so long ago that we got them but ~£4,000 rings a bell then around £1,000 per year for support.

Our parents also have logins to our sharepoint site and have access to the same information. Which is working well and parents love it.

A lot of people on here have gone down the TASC Insight route, which I think would probably intergrate with sharepoint too and may be cheaper to provide access to parents to data.

You mention you don't want to use SIMS LG - the SIMS webparts are essentially this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread