+ Post New Thread
EduSweep Thread, 2.1 out now - fixes aplenty! in Projects:; Hi all, A quick heads up that the new EduSweep release is out now. Here's the changelog , there are ...
    Thank Post

Arrow 2.1 out now - fixes aplenty!

Hi all,

A quick heads up that the new EduSweep release is out now. Here's the changelog, there are plenty of bugfixes and a handful of new features.

Running the online update from the software should also notify you of the new release. If you've been having problems with the updates, this new version should help get things working.

If there's anything I've missed, feel free to post it here and I'll start adding it to 2.2.

Last edited by bizzel; 11th March 2009 at 05:18 PM.

2. 4 Thanks to bizzel:

cromertech (11th March 2009), dannyjay (12th March 2009), Netman (11th March 2009), stevenlong1985 (11th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Auto Update gave me a 401 error but i downloaded manually, thanks

Thank Post
    Also got the 401 error: unauthorized

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Also got the 401 error: unauthorized
    Yep. Unfortunately the software update in the 2.0 release was a bit broken. It checks an incorrect URL for updates.

Thank Post
    Another small bug I'm afraid. When I try try to open a file on a UNC path with the File Inspector, it fails with the following error:

System.ArgumentException: Value of '\\server\path\file.jpg' is not valid for 'filePath'.
    It doesn't crash the app completely, but the file can't be examined either.

Incidentally, I gather the XLS flash game tool is using hashes to detect the games. If you search XLS files for "ShockwaveFlash" that will find all of them, not just the ones you have a rule for. I'm not sure if the current version of EduSweep can do that, but it might be a new feature! At the moment I'm doing it with a "strings" script, but a GUI app would be nicer.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    Another small bug I'm afraid. When I try try to open a file on a UNC path with the File Inspector, it fails with the following error:

It doesn't crash the app completely, but the file can't be examined either.

Incidentally, I gather the XLS flash game tool is using hashes to detect the games. If you search XLS files for "ShockwaveFlash" that will find all of them, not just the ones you have a rule for. I'm not sure if the current version of EduSweep can do that, but it might be a new feature! At the moment I'm doing it with a "strings" script, but a GUI app would be nicer.
    Yay, bugs!

Okay, I can confirm it happens here too. At the moment I'm working on 2.2 and I don't know how far off it is. I might well release a 2.1.1 in the meantime.

You're right about the flash search. I'm working on getting the improved method into 2.2 at the moment. I might PM you about your current implementation, thanks for the heads up.

Thank Post
    There's not much to my current setup. In fact:

Code:
    cd /d "e:\user data"
    "E:\Batch Files\strings.exe" -s *.xls | findstr ShockwaveFlash > "E:\Batch Files\XLS-GameSearch2OutputRAW.txt"
    cd /d "E:\Batch Files\"
    for /F "tokens=1,2 delims=:" %%a in (XLS-GameSearch2OutputRAW.txt) do @echo del "%%a:%%b" >> XLS-GameSearch2OutputCLEAN.txt
    type XLS-GameSearch2OutputCLEAN.txt | uniq > XLS-GameSearch2OutputUNIQUE.txt
    del XLS-GameSearch2OutputRAW.txt
    del XLS-GameSearch2OutputCLEAN.txt
    start XLS-GameSearch2OutputUNIQUE.txt
    That's it. The meat is on the 2nd line. As you can see it's pretty (read:very) quick and dirty. It spits out a batch file full of:

del "e:\path\tofile.xls"

lines so I can remove any I don't want to kill off then run it.

Also I found that you can disable the flash in a file by corrupting a couple of characters in the SWF's header (i used a tool called binmay which does binary search and replace in files: swap the 1st and 3rd characters of the embedded SWF and it's goosed). Removing the SWF portion altogether may well be hard.

Thank Post
    Thanks. I've found the bug you reported. The new file inspector loads the icon that Windows associates with the file you're scanning. For some reason this doesn't appear to work on network drives so the file can be accessed okay but the program will throw the error and stop.

I think the best course of action is to release a hotfix rather than a whole new version. It'll be a zip file that you can just extract into the program folder and I should have it by the end of the week.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread