+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
EduSweep Thread, EduSweep in use in Projects:; Thanks for this - it looks really useful! Is there a limit to the number of folders it scans? I ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for this - it looks really useful!

Is there a limit to the number of folders it scans? I put it on one our student servers, set it to scan for everything and set it going. It finished in 35 seconds which is good but it feels too fast (there are about 120,000 folders there) and it didn't find quite a few files which I found just by doing "dir *proxy*.url /s /a (although that took much, much longer!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Thanks for this - it looks really useful!

Is there a limit to the number of folders it scans? I put it on one our student servers, set it to scan for everything and set it going. It finished in 35 seconds which is good but it feels too fast (there are about 120,000 folders there) and it didn't find quite a few files which I found just by doing "dir *proxy*.url /s /a (although that took much, much longer!)
    I agree, it does sound too fast. There's no limit on the number of folders it can scan though, I've set it running on all 5 of our servers before now. Would it be alright if I sent you a special debug build that logs all the errors it comes across? You'd just need to drop the new .exe over the top of the existing one.

Do you have read access to all the targets and their subfolders from the account you're running it on and are you running the program locally or from a network share? One thing that would help is if you can open the log file for the scan and take a look at the number of files it has scanned during that run and compare that to the number of files that windows explorer thinks are in the target folder - they should be roughly the same.
    Last edited by bizzel; 10th April 2008 at 07:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Would it be possible to have it report how much space has been clawed back by running it i.e you've just recovered 7gb of space.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzel View Post
    I agree, it does sound too fast. There's no limit on the number of folders it can scan though, I've set it running on all 5 of our servers before now. Would it be alright if I sent you a special debug build that logs all the errors it comes across? You'd just need to drop the new .exe over the top of the existing one.

Do you have read access to all the targets and their subfolders from the account you're running it on and are you running the program locally or from a network share? One thing that would help is if you can open the log file for the scan and take a look at the number of files it has scanned during that run and compare that to the number of files that windows explorer thinks are in the target folder - they should be roughly the same.
    Top and bottom of log shown below. Last night's backup showed 118,614folders and 762,796 files.

The last user scanned is 94110531 but there are many thousands after that (we used to use IDs which started with enrolment year; now they start with 3 letters and it's not started any of those).

I was logged on as an admin user but it is possible that some folders won't be accessible to the account - will the program just end if it can't read a folder or does it move on to the next folder?

Program running locally (c:\program files(x86)\edusweep) and looking at folder d:\whome.

Happy to run a debug version etc. - thanks for your help!

#### Scan Summary ####

Scan Date: 10/04/2008 18:56:31
    Files Scanned: 319784
    Errors: 1
    Detected Items: 10084

#### Detected Items ####
    <snip>
    D:\whome\94110531\avg\avg71free_362a652.exe

#### Scan Summary ####
    Scan completed in 35 seconds.

Thank Post
    Top and bottom of log shown below. Last night's backup showed 118,614folders and 762,796 files.

The last user scanned is 94110531 but there are many thousands after that (we used to use IDs which started with enrolment year; now they start with 3 letters and it's not started any of those).

I was logged on as an admin user but it is possible that some folders won't be accessible to the account - will the program just end if it can't read a folder or does it move on to the next folder?

Program running locally (c:\program files(x86)\edusweep) and looking at folder d:\whome.

Happy to run a debug version etc. - thanks for your help!

#### Scan Summary ####

Scan Date: 10/04/2008 18:56:31
    Files Scanned: 319784
    Errors: 1
    Detected Items: 10084

#### Detected Items ####
    <snip>
    D:\whome\94110531\avg\avg71free_362a652.exe

#### Scan Summary ####
    Scan completed in 35 seconds.
    Thanks for that. It's entirely possible that a folder or section was skipped. If EduSweep encounters a folder that it can't access (system volume information, for example) it should carry on scanning the rest without issues, it's designed to be pretty resilient.

Looking at the error count of 1 suggests that a folder was skipped. Currently, only two conditions can trigger an error log: a folder that can't be accessed or a file that has been moved while the scan was checking its parent folder. If there were a large number of subfolders and files in the skipped folder, that would explain the discrepancy.

Beta 6 will have more detailed error logging, so I'll let you know when that's ready.

Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Would it be possible to have it report how much space has been clawed back by running it i.e you've just recovered 7gb of space.

Ben
    Sure thing. It shouldn't be too hard to add in.
    Last edited by bizzel; 11th April 2008 at 10:55 AM.

6. Thanks to bizzel from:

ninjabeaver (16th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Ive been looking for tool like this for a little while and it certainly does the job. Scanned all areas and found the usual suspects getting up to no good. No problems here with the proxy either.

Thanks for the hard work!

Thank Post
    Just run test on our staff area, one teacher with 493mb of video files...and they wonder why their profile takes a while to load

Thank Post
    Just a thanks to Bizzel there. Hats off to you mate. Found a few gigs of music........ on the teachers accounts. A little on the students, but not alot.

Nice one!

Thank Post
    Always a pleasure Let me know if there's a feature you'd like to see added.

Thank Post
    Thanks for this, working spot on.

Thank Post
    It didn't find quite a few files which I found just by doing "dir *proxy*.url /s /a (although that took much, much longer!)
    This is now fixed in Beta 6, which will be done any day now. The scan engine was designed to continue after errors but it didn't handle a specific type of file error correctly and silently skipped the rest of the targets! At least that's what betas are for. :P

Thank Post
    I used it today for the first time, and i'd just like to thank you for this awesome piece of kit!
    I found some quite interesting things, nothing harmful but a funny video or two of some teachers :P

I also found a virus.zip in a recent documents folder which came form a floppy drive, however it was on a shared teacher account (teacher1) so atm i'm not sure who the culprit is. Going to have to look out for somebody with a floppy disk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information