+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
EduLock Thread, Steve21 presents: EduLock in Projects:; Steve, Thank you for the quick response. I was just curious about the newer version, the older one is fine ...

Thank Post
    Steve,
    Thank you for the quick response. I was just curious about the newer version, the older one is fine for my needs.

On our student accounts task manager is disabled, but when the student does the network cable trick, the temporary profile loads and task manager is enabled along with everything else. I assume the techs in my school that created the default account never setup limitations, so thats why I'm turning to you.

My question about hiding it would be, if edulock runs at startup which is my plan, will it attempt to open taskmanager and bring up a "task manager has been disabled" message everytime.

I'm sure I can push out the registry key to disable taskmanager on the local machine. Was just hoping edulock would take care of everything if possible.

Again, thank you for the great software and all the hard work!

Ryan

2. Thanks to rantonacci42 from:

Steve21 (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rantonacci42 View Post
    Steve,
    Thank you for the quick response. I was just curious about the newer version, the older one is fine for my needs.

On our student accounts task manager is disabled, but when the student does the network cable trick, the temporary profile loads and task manager is enabled along with everything else. I assume the techs in my school that created the default account never setup limitations, so thats why I'm turning to you.

My question about hiding it would be, if edulock runs at startup which is my plan, will it attempt to open taskmanager and bring up a "task manager has been disabled" message everytime.

I'm sure I can push out the registry key to disable taskmanager on the local machine. Was just hoping edulock would take care of everything if possible.

Again, thank you for the great software and all the hard work!

Ryan
    That would depend on how you are running the program. If you're running it as the context of the user it would, however I'm assuming you're running it as system for access to registry? (or can students access that?) system should be able to run it normally.

The other "more brutish" way would be just doing a check every 500~ms to see if task manager is open, if it is close it, the open+hide. So if they can't/don't open it it won't do anything as such

Steve

Thank Post
    Thank you for this wonderful app. I have used it to lock out students that turn off the wireless adapter (wittingly or unwittingly) on a particular model laptop that we have. The laptop has a hardware level switch that turns the adapter off and does not reset on reboot and has always been a real pain to deal with. By customising the message, I've got the students bugging their teacher to fix the problem and not me Problems reported with this model laptop have dropped dramatically since I deployed this.

5. Thanks to waynewaynegoaway from:

Steve21 (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by waynewaynegoaway View Post
    By customising the message, I've got the students bugging their teacher to fix the problem and not me
    That's Genius I tell you! Always nice to "pass" teachers the annoying bits of work lol.

Steve

Thank Post
    We just sent out a GPO that changes the file permissions on task manager to prevent the temporary profile from accessing it. So we are about to deploy Edulock and sit bit and relax until the next kid tries to get smart.

I think we are going to pass the work to the teachers also. lol

Keep up the great work!

Ryan

Thank Post
    can i turn off the "steve21" and edulock text?

obviously this is steve's work and i recognize that, i would just rather the kids didn't have a shortcut to googling to find out what it is.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    can i turn off the "steve21" and edulock text?

obviously this is steve's work and i recognize that, i would just rather the kids didn't have a shortcut to googling to find out what it is.
    The steve21 text can be changed with regkey, and there isn't anywhere that the kids should be able to see the "EduLock" it's only showing on the icon which can be hidden, and the admin page. Or did I forgot somewhere?

Steve21 presents: EduLock-edulockhelp.jpg

Is attainable by adding a regkey as shown. DisplayName (Set to 1 to change from Steve21)

Could you confirm where they see EduLock please

Steve

10. Thanks to Steve21 from:

oxide54 (1st November 2012)

Thank Post
    okay cool i'll try the regkey,

i actually couldn't find where the rest of the reg keys are documented. (ended up using reflector to find out!)

i'll double check the edulock text, maybe i'm wrong. I'll have to do that tomorrow when i'm in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    okay cool i'll try the regkey,

i actually couldn't find where the rest of the reg keys are documented. (ended up using reflector to find out!)

i'll double check the edulock text, maybe i'm wrong. I'll have to do that tomorrow when i'm in.
    Most of the ones not on the website were put in at later dates to test things, and as people asked for stuff like changing Steve21 etc Haven't updated it as working on new version, just been busy at work

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    just been busy at work

god i know that feeling

Thank Post
    Sorry for double post, but just incase some people have this thread on subscribe.

There's a test version of EduLock that works with unrestricted TaskManager available to test here:

EduLock - Unrestricted TaskManager "Fix" Testers?

(Note, This isn't a full release, and should only be tested if you have unrestricted TaskManager. Else stick with the original version until service version finished)

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    hello and nice program but how can i deploy the program using the gpo in windows domain step by step ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456