+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
EduLock Thread, Steve21 presents: EduLock in Projects:; You know this is getting boring now :P You're obviously not listening/understanding, or seems more like "don't want to". 5 ...

Thank Post
    You know this is getting boring now :P You're obviously not listening/understanding, or seems more like "don't want to". 5 posts in 2 years all arguing about what my program is "supposed" to do or be run as. How you interpret it isn't my choosing :P

"But EduLock is deployed by GPO logon script" If that's how you've chosen to do it, that's your choice... Logic says deploy the regkeys once, and you'll never need the gpo deploying again... so it doesn't matter if it's loading with or without logon script. If you're setting it to be a HKLM setting.... Unless you're telling me, that 100% of users are disabling GPOs every time, and you never login to any computers with GPOs deployed, your point is invalid... One login and it's set to run forever as such. I highly doubt you're trying to copy settings/program files over "every" login, for your example Lan Ranger. You copy it once, you don't copy it every time someone logs on. So whether GPO is disabled or not, makes 0 difference.

And in terms of feature to stop it looking for disconencts while admins logged in any reason for it? If it's an individual machine etc being fixed, you have the admin pass to disable it while you're logged on. If you're moving hundreds of machines etc they'd be logged off anyway?

Steve

*Edit - Seeing all you're doing is spamming now Moby I'll delete any posts. You're just proving my exact point you're not listening to anything I said, and causing problems for fun. Oh well. Steve
    Last edited by Steve21; 19th July 2011 at 03:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Deleting someones post because you happen to disagree with it? Really, I don't think I'm the one who is not listening. It seems that you simply can't take any criticism.

Why not have an adult discussion, rather than simply deleting items you can't handle? I see you snip other posts to remove any critiscism. Others can then form their own opinion. Or are you worried about there being a proper discussion? Perhaps you'd rather people wasted their time thinking that you offered a complete solution. But it is not yet, sorry.

Moby.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mobybrick View Post
    Deleting someones post because you happen to disagree with it? Really, I don't think I'm the one who is not listening. It seems that you simply can't take any criticism.

Why not have an adult discussion, rather than simply deleting items you can't handle? I see you snip other posts to remove any critiscism. Others can then form their own opinion. Or are you worried about there being a proper discussion? Perhaps you'd rather people wasted their time thinking that you offered a complete solution. But it is not yet, sorry.

Moby.
    I'm deleting your constant spam, as I've already explained multiple times how it's meant to work, and you're ignoring it. I've asked you to stop posting things that are nothing to do with the software, just to cause arguements. And you continue.

10 posts of yours, 9 slagging off software for stuff it's never designed to do.

If you have a problem and would like something developed, as I've mentioned many a time, You can PM me it, or wait for new versions. However you resort to constant spam, and slagging off. If it continues I will ask admins to step in, as it's really getting boring.

Steve

Thank Post
    Please, ask the admins to step in. I'm sure they'll see that none of my posts were spam. Re-posting items that I didn't see had been deleted (you did not leave a message) is not a crime. All of my items are to make a valid point: The execution of EduLock can easily be stopped by a students. There's no point providing something if it can be (easily) defeated.

Please ask the admins to review. Please. I've been nothing but polite.

Thank Post
    Dear other forum viewers,

The EduLock program has a large security flaw IMHO, which could potentially allow students to bypass it. The author of the software as good as acknowledges this in my posts above, where he has snipped my posts (and removed others) on the basis of students seeing security sensitive information.

Rather than talk constructively, the author has labelled me as 'silly', a 'whiner' and 'boring' - but the fact remains, the software is insecure. I feel other users of the software - you - should at least know about the possibility of the problem, so you can make your own informed decision.

It seems we are not allowed to open in to a proper discussion on this forum, including ways to negate the problem on here, but if anyone would like more advice or help with this, then please PM me. I'll try my best to help to advise you how to prevent this hole as much as possible.

Regards
    Moby

Don't post private correspondence that you don't have permission for
    Last edited by plexer; 19th July 2011 at 09:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Moby,

You talk about deploying/running EduLock via GPO. Why have a GPO to run EduLock when that just defeats the purpose?! Create a GPO to run a script that creates a folder, C:\Program Files\EduLock, copy the program there, create an entry in HKLM\Software\.\.\.\Run to run the executable. Hey Presto!!! You have a program that runs on it's own without a GPO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeighMJ View Post
    Moby,

You talk about deploying/running EduLock via GPO. Why have a GPO to run EduLock when that just defeats the purpose?! Create a GPO to run a script that creates a folder, C:\Program Files\EduLock, copy the program there, create an entry in HKLM\Software\.\.\.\Run to run the executable. Hey Presto!!! You have a program that runs on it's own without a GPO.
    It's nice to see that others understand it oh well I'm sure we'll get more spam now.

On a side note Leigh, added option to change steve21 to full name on lock screen with regkey on new version. If you're still interested will try to upload it tonight or tomorrow.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    On a side note Leigh, added option to change steve21 to full name on lock screen with regkey on new version. If you're still interested will try to upload it tonight or tomorrow.

Steve
    Yep, sounds good. Thanks

Thank Post
    To clarify the situation:

The "major hole" found is simply based on using a non-recommended/supported way of installing the program. Using the standard install which I'll explain better on the website later doesn't have the "major hole" as mentioned.

This has been explained to mods, and they're dealing with it as they see fit. Hopefully this will end the situation.

Many thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    It's nice to see that others understand it :
    Steve
    or even understand "Chapter 1: Deploying simple applications on a windows network"

Thank Post
    to re-create

Close Lid of Laptop (HP 6735s, XP) --> Puts in standby mode
    Open Lid of Laptop
    Press On button (Wakes up from standby, not off or hibernation)

then edulock triggers the exception

not really sure its a problem, i only noticed cause i left edulock running from looking at it earlier/

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The operation completed successfully
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.UpdateLayered()
    at System.Windows.Forms.Form.set_Opacity(Double value)
    at EduLock.Form1.startLock()
    at EduLock.My.MyApplication.MyApplication_NetworkAvai labilityChanged(Object sender, NetworkAvailableEventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsF ormsApplicationBase.raise_NetworkAvailabilityChang ed(Object sender, NetworkAvailableEventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.ApplicationServices.WindowsF ormsApplicationBase.NetworkAvailableEventAdaptor(O bject sender, NetworkAvailableEventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Network.raise_Networ kAvailabilityChanged(Object sender, NetworkAvailableEventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.Devices.Network.NetworkAvail abilityChangedHandler(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    EduLock
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/alien/My%20Documents/Downloads/EduLock/EduLock.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

12. Thanks to oxide54 from:

Steve21 (15th August 2011)

Thank Post
    It's nice to see that others understand it oh well I'm sure we'll get more spam now.

Steve
    Steve,

How did you go with uploading new version?

14. Thanks to LeighMJ from:

Steve21 (15th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    then edulock triggers the exception

not really sure its a problem, i only noticed cause i left edulock running from looking at it earlier/
    I think I know what that's for, as when I'm checking to see if the network changes I'm pulling an offline/online value. As standby probably disconnects the network card when it's rebooting it starts the program, before the card is "alive" as such, thus causing it to complain. Will take a look at it thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by LeighMJ View Post
    Steve,

How did you go with uploading new version?
    It's uploaded, If you download latest version, then put a regkey called "DisplayName" put it to anything over than blank for now, and it should do it. If that works ok, will prettify it later

Thanks both!

Steve

Thank Post
    Steve,
    Thank you for creating such a useful program. I have 2 questions if you don't mind.
    1. Where can I download the newest version.
    2. We have been testing the software and found that even with it, if a student launches task manager, they can kill the process. Any ideas or changes you can make to avoid that?

Thank you so much!
    Ryan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rantonacci42 View Post
    Steve,
    Thank you for creating such a useful program. I have 2 questions if you don't mind.
    1. Where can I download the newest version.
    2. We have been testing the software and found that even with it, if a student launches task manager, they can kill the process. Any ideas or changes you can make to avoid that?

Thank you so much!
    Ryan
    Hey,

The uploaded version is latest release, but been working on rewriting it as a service, just been a bit busy.

I made the assumption task manager would normally be restricted in schools but there is a way I could disable it. As a user can only have task manager open once I can make edulock open and hide it, therefore no-one else can launch it.

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast