+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
EduLock Thread, Steve21 presents: EduLock in Projects:; actually this just happened logged in as admin tooż...

Thank Post
    actually this just happened logged in as admin tooż

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    actually this just happened logged in as admin tooż
    Very strange,

From the error:

System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(Exceptio nResource resource)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
    at EduLock.Form1.ReadFromReg()
    at EduLock.Form1.Form1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    It's referring to the "ReadFromReg" sub, that just loads in the details from the registry. Not even trying to write/edit them. Just looks at the options and puts them into the variables.

Does it give the same error, if you haven't deployed a registry file? While it's just looking at empty reg?

Steve

Thank Post
    Sorry steve sorted, gave full access to the reg folder as above and worked, ( i think mistyped edulock and put edugeek) lol!!!!
    works a treat! love this program!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andydis View Post
    Sorry steve sorted, gave full access to the reg folder as above and worked, ( i think mistyped edulock and put edugeek) lol!!!!
    works a treat! love this program!
    I had a little chuckle :P But hey, It's friday (or wannabe Friday, still last day of week!) Relax, chill! everything's alright.

That's cool then, aslong as I didn't break anything :P

Thank Post
    Sounds like an excellent bit of software looking forward to testing it out

6. Thanks to NS_tech from:

Steve21 (28th April 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NS_tech View Post
    Sounds like an excellent bit of software looking forward to testing it out
    Thanks, and look forward to any improvements/bugs etc you can think of for the future :P Always looking to improve it!

Steve

Thank Post
    Small bump, Just a note always accepting ideas/features/improvements :P

If enough people using it, might aswell keep it updated and add new stuff :P

(Also updated link to download from, just for my records)

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Edutech's hosting is pretty reliable to be honest, I used it in the past and didn't experience any problems.
    I use it now - so I will second that.

Gareth

10. Thanks to garethedmondson from:

EduTech (26th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geraintpowell View Post
    Seems like a pretty nifty idea but the only issue i can see is:
    if the server goes down, will all of the computers running the software be completely useless (as opposed to being almost completely useless as the user cant save to their documents or access the internet ect.)
    i also saw a post where a bloke was having problems with students disconnecting network cables on startup which stopped user policies from running and thus giving them more freedom to play games and stuff, so even if this software locks the screen, wouldnt the computer still keep running underneath the locked screen, and theyd be able to log in without seeing the logon screen and reconnect it once the computer is fully started and logged in?

But to answer your questions,

In terms of group policies, I did put a test option in that will force update group policies when computer is unlocked, so even if they did log on without it being connected it "should" force them to apply. But no-ones replied back to tell me if it's working or not, so left it as an option to enable. :P

Any information on if it does update or not would be great :P

In terms of the server being down, honestly not considered it much. If your entire network/server is down, nothing would work pc wise? And you could just unlock the screens (ok in a huge school an issue, but remember if servers down new users won't be able to login anyway, only ones already logged on?)

Steve

Thank Post
    on our system users can log on without server connection if they have previously logged on to that computer, and i realise that the system is almost totally useless without the server but say students were typing up work, without the server, theyd still be able to use a word processor and save to a external device. and it generally stops staff from frothing at the mouth if you can suggest a few little things they can still do

13. Thanks to geraintpowell from:

Steve21 (9th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geraintpowell View Post
    on our system users can log on without server connection if they have previously logged on to that computer, and i realise that the system is almost totally useless without the server but say students were typing up work, without the server, theyd still be able to use a word processor and save to a external device. and it generally stops staff from frothing at the mouth if you can suggest a few little things they can still do
    The problem is, if you're allowing local user login. You're giving them an easy way to bypass GPOs in first place :P

In terms of allowing access if servers down, the problem is determining if it's the "server" down, or the network. Obviously the program has no idea of what is the server, vs what is the network.

Unless I'm just being stupid, it's not like you could even ping a local machine to test if there's network, as none would get an IP from the DHCP etc? Guess there's option to give a default "test if this IP is alive", but again if it's not alive. How does it know if it's due to network or server failure.

Couldn't deploy a "server is down key" as obviously if servers down no way to deploy new GPO :P

Only way I can think of doing it is by adding a special key, that's changing based on time etc, that will act as an admin unlock (aka disables relocking during that logon). Then if anything does go down you could just tell teachers to give that key out for that lesson, and it'd disable it. Only issue is obviously if a kid got hands on the codes etc, but guess you could deploy a unique keyword (as part of normal install) and use that as part of the "temporary" key. So it's unique per school.

If that made any sense?

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Just to give you more feedback. Currently tested on Win7 32Bit with EduLockV5. Had to change permission on the reg key for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EduLock to allow any user to run application and then application ran fine. GP updates not working but overall excellent application. Saved me a lot of time mucking about with VB or powershell.

Happy to deploy to all the Classroom client machines as is. Will continue the feedback. Very keen on the email notification your working on, as staff are not always aware what students are doing even when looking at the their screen. Be great to have immediate notification when events like this occur.

16. Thanks to dc_mc2002 from:

Steve21 (25th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dc_mc2002 View Post
    Just to give you more feedback. Currently tested on Win7 32Bit with EduLockV5. Had to change permission on the reg key for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EduLock to allow any user to run application and then application ran fine. GP updates not working but overall excellent application. Saved me a lot of time mucking about with VB or powershell.

Happy to deploy to all the Classroom client machines as is. Will continue the feedback. Very keen on the email notification your working on, as staff are not always aware what students are doing even when looking at the their screen. Be great to have immediate notification when events like this occur.
    Glad to hear! Will have to take a look at the GP updates, need to get a test server up and running to play with

Yeah sorting the emails/notification, but having few issues trying to get it to send emails without putting in usernames/pass for the email servers etc, but will get it working soon!

And thanks for the feedback! Nice to see it's being used.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Glad to hear! Will have to take a look at the GP updates, need to get a test server up and running to play with

Yeah sorting the emails/notification, but having few issues trying to get it to send emails without putting in usernames/pass for the email servers etc, but will get it working soon!

And thanks for the feedback! Nice to see it's being used.

Steve
    Cant speak for everyone, but no username and password required at our school. I setup permission for the SMTP server to allow outgoing email from authenticated users. As far as im aware, this is a very common option on mail servers. Infact needed for so many other applications we use for automated reports and notification. Have you found a problem with using authenticated users access with your application?

Thank Post
    Are there still 3 passwords and if so, are they still as listed here - Solution to stop people disconnecting network cables (Testers wanted please)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast