+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
EduGeek Shutdownertron Thread, Shutdownertron v1.2 in Projects:; Shutdownertron is a decentralised, fully group policy-controlled, automated shutdown mechanism. Features: Group policy control over every feature User abortable if ...

Thank Post

Shutdownertron v1.2

Shutdownertron is a decentralised, fully group policy-controlled, automated shutdown mechanism.

Features:

• Group policy control over every feature
    • User abortable if permitted
    • Runs as a service, even if there is no user logged on
    • Decentralised (policy is cached in case of network loss)
    • Customisable display text and warning time
    • Local override tool to prevent specific machines shutting down
    • Can shutdown or reboot
    • MSI agent deployment

Version 1.2 is available at http://www.powdarrmonkey.net/shutdownertron/
    This is a production release. (Requires .NET v2.0)

Contents: MSI for deployment by your chosen method; transforms to control installation of the local override tool (by default, installed on demand); group policy template to add to a GPO.

Shutdownertron understands group policy inheritance, so you can specify generic options near the top of your units and more specific differences (eg. shutdown time) further down.

If you use Shutdownertron (or evaluate it and choose not to), please detail your experiences to shape future releases.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 14th October 2008 at 09:23 AM.

2. 3 Thanks to powdarrmonkey:

dyoung5 (17th October 2008), reggiep (10th February 2012), Tamarside (9th February 2009)

Thank Post
    It looks really good, there is one feature that is missing which with the current electric prices would be handy.

Whilst on the logon screen only, if idle for X minutes shutdown.

So if you have a suite of PC's just sitting there for 1 period not being used, if nobody wiggles a mouse or presses a key for say 15 minutes shutdown. But only from the logon screen as a teacher might leave the PC on all period to show somthing on the projector.

Headteacher said she has had a letter saying to expect 40% increase in energy bills. So this is somthing she would like.

Thank Post
    I'll have a look at that for next release.

Edit: I can't help feeling that this would be better handled by Windows' power options. Standby uses very little power, and means that the machine wakes up much quicker when a user sits down at it. The last thing you want is to have it shut down completely just as a user sits down at the machine.
    Last edited by powdarrmonkey; 30th September 2008 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Does this work when the machines have ben standing so long that the screen goes black?
    The reason i ask is i have a script that runs the shutdown -r against all the machines in the suite at 6pm. But if the machines have a black screen then the scripts don't seem to run until you move the mouse or press a button.

Thank Post
    As long as the machine is just idle and not in standby (eg. you have configured the power options to switch off the monitor but not go to standby) it will shut the machine down, yes.

Thank Post
    Cool. Im downloading it right now then. Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    As long as the machine is just idle and not in standby (eg. you have configured the power options to switch off the monitor but not go to standby) it will shut the machine down, yes.
    Sound's like a cool little app. Not shutting down from standby is a bit of a short-coming though... I made a little MSI that made a scheduled task. In this task 'wake computer up from standby' was selected, so there must be some API call that will do the same. Obviously, mine didn't respond to AD, which is pretty cool feature.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Appreciate the fact that it probably wasnt written for CC3/CC4 compliancy, but for the benefit of others using RM software, it doesnt seem to work - well certainly not on my clients

Get the message "Error 1 reading policy registry key. Is Shutdownertron installed properly"

(damn you RM!)

Thank Post
    @eean: I'm working on little niggles like that, I think the trouble with standby is my event sinks stop getting messages. I'll see if I can find a way of maintaining them without losing standby's power savings too much.

@cheesypete: I don't have any CC3 experience at all, sorry. If you've applied the group policy template, you should have a registry key HKLM\Software\Policies\Shutdownertron, and one in HKLM\Software\Shutdownertron with a version value and an override value in. These are the keys it is looking for.

Thank Post
    it would be nice to have the functionality to save open work to the home drive of the user logged in before shutdown. i.e in a special folder on thier home drive i.e H:\\autosave

Thank Post
    @z4ydi: Nice idea, but I have no idea what applications you're running amongst the millions of possibilities. I'm also a firm believe in human solutions before technical, and training users to save their work is going to stand them in far better stead in the workplace than blindly doing it for them.

The shutdown is not forced (though a future version may allow you force it) so for example Word will halt the process if a document has not been saved, and it'll still be there the next morning.

Thank Post
    after installing when I try to run the Shutdownertron Configuration from Administrative tools I get a message: "Policy settings have not been applied. Check GPO have refreshed properly".
    Is there an installation guide for the software, as I think I might be doing something wrong.
    thanks

Thank Post
    This error means that the group policy settings have not been applied to the machine you're working on. Check that you have a registry key HKLM\Software\Policies\Shutdownertron, if not check that you have applied the policy to the machine in question, and run "gpupdate /force" to ensure it has refreshed its settings.

There's currently no install guide other than the release notes, it's in progress (work got in the way )

Thank Post
    I have installed Shutdownertron on the server and imported the template and configured the settings to shutdown in certain time etc. I applied the GPO to my test machine, but it did not shutdown the PC, I tested the GPO on few different PCs but no joy, when I type gpresult on the client PC it does show that the policy is applied. Please let me know what am I doing wrong and whether there is a more detailed installation manual

Thank Post
    When you start the service it logs the current settings to the event log (control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer -> application log). Can you paste this and any other messages it has left?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information