+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Self Service Password Reset Thread, Version 3 in Projects:; Ok I think as we started using version 2 tags that the next version will be called version or even ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts

Version 3

Ok I think as we started using version 2 tags that the next version will be called version or even maybe have a name change completely.

I have asked Ozan from OP Software to redevelop this tool and release it in 2 versions, these will be a standalon version and also an OP SmartDesk integrated version very much like how SmartMonitor will be.

The benefits are that it will be moved to an sql db and it will be written in .net which will enable us to make it more powerful.

Having it integrated into the helpdesk means your teachers will have tools they need all in one place.

So what features does it need?

The ability to lock/unlock AD accounts?

A custom gina for XP to have a button to click to start the reset process?

Feel free to add things in the forum.

I will try and split out the ideas into their own threads to make the tracking of them a bit easier.

Also a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to the original version and especially to Alex who took my original scruffy idea and turned it into one that worked

Thanks.

Ben

Thank Post
    Custom Gina would be perfect for its use

Thank Post
    A custom gina would be fine, if you plan to stick with XP. As vista and 7 dont use this method any more I would stick to something OS independent. I understand that the new UI.dll is quite hard to customise. Unless others know otherwise?

BoX
    Last edited by box_l; 3rd March 2010 at 03:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by box_l View Post
    A custom gina would be fine, if you plan to stick with XP. As vista and 7 dont use this method any more I would stick to something OS independent. I understand that the new UI.dll is quite hard to customise.

BoX
    Don't think the new method will stay intact for long, and there are issues with a custom Gina, as this is against Microsofts EULA or whatever regulations, terms of service they want to use.

And the majority of us are still going to stay on Windows XP, at least for the foreseeable future, perhaps we'll re-evaluate when Windows 7 SP1 is out and ironing all bugs out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 1,414 Posts
    A custom GINA is not against the Microsoft terms if you modify the existing Microsoft GINA using reghacker or some such method that's where you get in trouble, providing your own coded custom GINA is not a problem.

Thats what the GINA is all about.

As well as schools there will be a lot of windows xp destops around for a number of years yet I bet.

Ben

Ben

Thank Post
    Really interested in getting a new custom Gina for Windows 7, we have version 2.2 working on Server 2008 R2, but not really much use without a reset password option on the login screen.

Had a look at Pgina but no idea how that works cannot get it to use pgina dll for the domain anyone any instructions? Also what authenitcation method should we be using for AD? Kerberos not sure can anyone help?
    Last edited by themaster0071; 28th June 2011 at 04:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread