In my LEA Norfolk the new edugeek site is being blocked by Symantec Web Sercuity Dynamic Web Filtering...
Most of the forum threads are reporting a DDR score of around 50.
Very ocasionally the old site would be filtered, but now it is every thread, most threads will display the first 1 or 2 topics and the rest of the thread is filtered, but it seems more and more threads are not displaying any topics at all.:eek:
Any suggestions on how I can get around this are most welcome.
Can you submit a screenshot of the effect please.
SWS is similar to Smoothwall and a few other filters. It relies on looking at the text on the page as well as the url it originates from, and there are certain words which have a high score. Within the code generated by vBulletin there are certain things that get caught.
Originally Posted by Big-Jon
The only way around it is to have certain other words flagged with a negative score. Ask for the word 'EduGeek' to have a negative score of -250 (the maximum if I remember rightly) and it solves the problem.
Here are a couple of screenshots of the problem with Symantec Dynamic filtering I am experiencing
Yep, definitely some words within the page or within the code getting caught by the dictionary. Give Norfolk a call and ask them to set the word EduGeek to a score that will offset the score from words such as 'forum' and so on.
Originally Posted by DSapseid
Speaking to Atomwide, it seems my LEA hasnt enabled it because I dont think they have the policies and paperwork together yet and because they know that few schools have proper AUP's etc
Hopefully it will be rolled out sooner rather than later!
Related to this, not sure why it didnt happen before, but recently, I cant see any images, as they are still all linking from www.edugeek.net/forums which is all blocked for me. Im using the site on www.edugeek.net/frms
Every page looks an absolute mess for me. Not so bad in firefox as it doesnt display red x's but still alternate text all over the place
Attached a pic
Cheers for that screenshot. I will have a look at getting the skins relative.
Try it now.
Not sure why it reverted.
Yeah all looks fine now, cheers :)
Edit: apart from the smilies and post icons..but no big deal
redirect seems to be broken again :(
on the front page, if i hover over a link to a forum it comes up as frms in the url, but clicking on it takes me to the 'forums' url and so its blocked
i can get into each forum if i manually change the url, but cant get in any threads at all, even when i edit it
also cant view images again
Sorry we installed some new software last night. I will have a gander at getting it fixed asap.
I have tried several things but I have been unable to get the system to disable based on the url.
Have you had any luck getting your LEA to recategorise EduGeek?
I am going to have another crack at it at the weekend, I just thought I would let you know I am not forgetting about you :)
After speaking to a very helpful gentleman at Atomwide he made it very clear that it is solely down to LAs about what is filtered and unfiltered. The fact that EduGeek is listed under Becta's ENABLE services as a professional support forum and it is in the same manner as Technet, CapitaES Sims support forums, RM Support forums and so on makes no difference.
Strange since the backend is a Becta accredited service that now blocks a Becta listed support service whilst allowing commercial alternatives to be freely available.
I do feel a strongly worded email is about to occur.