+ Post New Thread
EduGeek.net Site Problems Thread, Asterisks appearing in my posts in EduGeek Stuff; This can be seen on my final post here http://www.edugeek.net/forums/window...-i-delete.html I didn't type any asterisks! not a problem at all ...
    Thank Post

Asterisks appearing in my posts

This can be seen on my final post here New server on order - old server full - what can I delete?
    I didn't type any asterisks! not a problem at all but I thought you'd like to know in case it affects others
    Opera 10.64 on Win7 x64

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a similar issue with materials I was trying to copy and paste in. Turned out that it was some b0rked ASCII and the problem was some rogue spaces becoming asterixes ... when I delete the space and then typed it in again on the edit it worked fine. This was Safari 5.1.7 on OS X 10.7.4

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    It's the intuitive edusoftware which feels that you need to release some pent-up tension or anger in the form of the sort of words we try to avoid.So it gives you the asterisks straight away....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BatchFile View Post
    This can be seen on my final post here New server on order - old server full - what can I delete?
    I didn't type any asterisks! not a problem at all but I thought you'd like to know in case it affects others
    Opera 10.64 on Win7 x64
    Not aware of any issues like that but I will see if anyone else has reported it. Chrome doesnt appear to have any issues but I will see if anything is listed for opera. Its possible its a opera bug too since v10 is quite old now.
    Opera represents about 1.6% of our traffic for the last 30 days (a bit seems to cause all versions to report as v9) which could explain why its not reported by more.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I had a similar issue with materials I was trying to copy and paste in. Turned out that it was some b0rked ASCII and the problem was some rogue spaces becoming asterixes ... when I delete the space and then typed it in again on the edit it worked fine. This was Safari 5.1.7 on OS X 10.7.4
    Copy and pasting from formatted text can bring some formatting with it, the easiest way around this is using the "Paste as plain text" button (looks like clipboard with notepad icon on it) which strips additional formatting.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 21st May 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has this happened again or is that post an isolated case?

Thank Post
    actually I may have just found the cause and I think it's an opera problem my end. There are two shortcuts to it in my start menu - for some reason one opens 10.64 and the other 11.64 - I have no idea how that's happened but it does seem to explain some of the strange behaviours I've been seeing including this!

TheLibrarian
    I wondered if this was the "Hey look if I post my password ********** the EduGeek site automatically masks it with asterisks" joke. Which I think is about as funny as Alt + F4 will fix it...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread