+ Post New Thread
EduGeek.net Site Problems Thread, Auto refresh problem in EduGeek Stuff; <rant> I just finished typing a rather lengthy reply with configuration snippets to a Squid proxy configuration file and the ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Auto refresh problem

<rant> I just finished typing a rather lengthy reply with configuration snippets to a Squid proxy configuration file and the page auto refreshed on me. I lost the entire post.... Is it at all possible to turn this very annoying feature off? </rant>
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 2nd March 2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Moved to Site Problems and renamed to give a clearer idea of problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    I thought it saved draft copies? did you try re-replying?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I did. All it showed was the original quoted text from the post I was replying to. I wasn't using the quick reply box though, I was on the advanced reply page. I'm using Firefox 10.0.2.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have moved this to the site problems forum and renamed.

Do you see the following button when at the same page as before?

Basically it auto-saves your post every 20 seconds or so which can be restored when you browse back to the same page/thread. Each page/thread's auto-save button is unique. The button only appears if it has a previous auto-save record for that thread/page.

I just tried a refresh/restore with this post which worked as expected.

Regarding the refresh, it happens after 60 minutes to prevent session issues although I am working on a fix to remove that using a polling script.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 2nd March 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Probably won't help now but I normally find If I am going to make a post that will take a while to compose / put together then I use something like notepad / notepad++ or the likes.

Would be nice if there was a hta or app that someone could make that would interact securely with edugeek to view different posts / make your own posts etc and whilst typing it saved a local copy to your profile or machine etc ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Probably won't help now but I normally find If I am going to make a post that will take a while to compose / put together then I use something like notepad / notepad++ or the likes.

Would be nice if there was a hta or app that someone could make that would interact securely with edugeek to view different posts / make your own posts etc and whilst typing it saved a local copy to your profile or machine etc ?
    The auto-save was supposed to prevent this issue and everyone I had asked said it worked as expected.

I have already had a few ideas regarding the app

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    I have moved this to the site problems forum and renamed.

Do you see the following button when at the same page as before?

Basically it auto-saves your post every 20 seconds or so which can be restored when you browse back to the same page/thread. Each page/thread's auto-save button is unique. The button only appears if it has a previous auto-save record for that thread/page.

I just tried a refresh/restore with this post which worked as expected.

Regarding the refresh, it happens after 60 minutes to prevent session issues although I am working on a fix to remove that using a polling script.
    Yes I do see it. It works exactly as you described it should when I refresh the page by hand. When it happened to me though it was the 60 minute timeout. I'll leave a tab open on an advanced reply page and see what it does after an hour. Thanks for your help!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke5A View Post
    Yes I do see it. It works exactly as you described it should when I refresh the page by hand. When it happened to me though it was the 60 minute timeout. I'll leave a tab open on an advanced reply page and see what it does after an hour. Thanks for your help!
    People have been asking vbulletin to make it auto restore rather then having to manually hit the button (with a checkbox to enable/disable the mode). I will have a play with the buttons CSS to see if I can highlight it a bit better.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread