+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
EduGeek Minecraft Thread, New to Minecraft. Setting up Internal Server in EduGeek Gaming; Hi all. I have been asked to set up a internal Minecraft server for a gaming club which is going ...
  1. #1
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,420
    Thank Post
    339
    Thanked 130 Times in 94 Posts
    Rep Power
    92

    New to Minecraft. Setting up Internal Server

    Hi all.

    I have been asked to set up a internal Minecraft server for a gaming club which is going to be running after school a night a week.

    Im all new to this, Is there any guides or advice that you can help me along the way.

    Im currently trying to find a pc to set up on. But i got a few Spares P4's 2.8's with 512/1gb ram in. Would they be any good to host for about 30~ players? or would i be better off looking for a dual core pc (clickview recorder that has i3 with 4gb ram (running xp)

    Sorry if im a pain.
    Last edited by newpersn; 14th June 2011 at 02:44 PM.

  2. #2

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,824
    Thank Post
    971
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    457
    Right, the server is free but you must buy licenses for all your clients firstly.
    If 30 players are going to be online at once you will probably need quite a bit of hardware, the thing with MC (minecraft) is that it uses a fair bit of cpu, ram and disk IO so I wouldnt put it on your clickview. 2GB should get you started and you can see what the load is like. To run the server you just need java installed and you run the server jar file using a batch.

  3. #3
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,420
    Thank Post
    339
    Thanked 130 Times in 94 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Right, the server is free but you must buy licenses for all your clients firstly.
    If 30 players are going to be online at once you will probably need quite a bit of hardware, the thing with MC (minecraft) is that it uses a fair bit of cpu, ram and disk IO so I wouldnt put it on your clickview. 2GB should get you started and you can see what the load is like. To run the server you just need java installed and you run the server jar file using a batch.
    ok. i got it running on a p4 1.25gb first. If i can get it to work then i will look for a faster computer.

    How much is the licenses?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    133
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    ok. i got it running on a p4 1.25gb first. If i can get it to work then i will look for a faster computer.

    How much is the licenses?
    They were £15 last time I checked.

  5. #5

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,498
    Thank Post
    526
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    895
    €14.95 each at the moment. Going to go up to €19.95 in November.

    Also, the licenses are done by 'login', with individual username/passwords.

  6. Thanks to localzuk from:

    newpersn (16th June 2011)

  7. #6
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,420
    Thank Post
    339
    Thanked 130 Times in 94 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    Ok thanks all. will look in to all now.

  8. #7
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,420
    Thank Post
    339
    Thanked 130 Times in 94 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    Would a Dual Xeon be alright running at 2.8ghz with 1gb of ram? or would i need to incase ram up to 4gb?
    Last edited by newpersn; 16th June 2011 at 06:32 PM.

  9. #8

    ZeroHour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    5,824
    Thank Post
    971
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by newpersn View Post
    Would a Dual Xeon be alright running at 2.8ghz with 1gb of ram? or would i need to incase ram up to 4gb?
    See how it goes and watch the IO and if people report lag/jittery updates then you know you need to go higher. 30 concurrent is a huge amount tbh. We have 2gb (inc for OS) for the edugeek MC and it uses all it can.

  10. #9
    newpersn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,420
    Thank Post
    339
    Thanked 130 Times in 94 Posts
    Rep Power
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    See how it goes and watch the IO and if people report lag/jittery updates then you know you need to go higher. 30 concurrent is a huge amount tbh. We have 2gb (inc for OS) for the edugeek MC and it uses all it can.

    What OS are you running? Its currently running Windows server 2003



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Blocking Minecraft
    By mark100 in forum Windows
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20th May 2014, 10:28 AM
  2. Minecraft
    By nikaso in forum EduGeek Minecraft
    Replies: 154
    Last Post: 20th July 2011, 12:07 AM
  3. Minecraft Server?
    By flexyjerkov in forum EduGeek Minecraft
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10th June 2011, 04:28 PM
  4. Minecraft
    By nikaso in forum Gaming
    Replies: 160
    Last Post: 30th April 2011, 05:24 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •