+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
EduGeek Minecraft Thread, Minecraft in EduGeek Gaming; With server mods you can change them, along with other handy things, unfortunately the main mod (hey-0) has been discontinued ...

Thank Post
    With server mods you can change them, along with other handy things, unfortunately the main mod (hey-0) has been discontinued while they make another one (bukkit) which isn't finished yet

You can move the spawn with a map editor but that changes it for everyone.

Thank Post
    I might have gone a bit OTT with the water features....... sorry

Thank Post
    does this mean the spawn point is now a fiery lake of mess? :P

Who made the sandcastle in the water? that's awesome.

Thank Post
    Noo, just around my castle, its like a big moat with fountains lol

Thank Post
    For a server that was only set up on the 20th, there's been a very impressive amount of building going on.

On another note i'm quite enjoying MineCraft, although i'm really not doing very well having died three times and still haven't built anything yet!

Thank Post
    The buildings are impressive, I went around looking at them over the weekend and some of them are insanely big/complex.

I'm going to start playing with redstone tonight, either making Dispenser traps, with a master on/off switch at the top of my mine (don't want my own traps to get me).

We need to get a gallery going, and come up with a way to record tours etc...

Thank Post
    Hoping to let a load of iron to make a train from mine back to spawn, takes a ton though.

My base is near the tower you can see away from spawn from the sand castle in the water.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    Hoping to let a load of iron to make a train from mine back to spawn, takes a ton though.

My base is near the tower you can see away from spawn from the sand castle in the water.
    Extending my tracks back to spawn is on my list aswell, atm they go under my bridge.

We should create a rail network that goes everywhere.

Thank Post
    How do you find iron in any decent amount? I have coal coming out my backside but never iron!

Thank Post
    Irons normally commoner at deeper depths then coal. There are some details on the wiki page I think.

Arcath do you know about the minecart boosters? so you don't need to use powered carts to push along flat tracks?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    Irons normally commoner at deeper depths then coal. There are some details on the wiki page I think.

Arcath do you know about the minecart boosters? so you don't need to use powered carts to push along flat tracks?
    I'vr heard of them, need to read up about them on the wiki.

Thank Post
    Hi all, my boss sent me this thread so I thought I'd chime in! *(Warning, possible wall of text incoming!)

Love MC, been playing about 4 months when I can pull myself away from WoW..

Just before christmas I started an after school games club which while exploring other games, game maker etc, largely centers around minecraft. The kids just love it. Some already played and some were new. We have a pool of around 20 people now who dip in and out when they can. Some of the changes lately made things a bit unstable so I had to turn off animals and monsters, giving them about 3 weeks of pure build/exploration (one week of manic PVP action) and they are starting to really dig in (lol) and get bases built. I'd post a screeny but right now the map is fairly empty because of the bugs, we made a new one.

However I'll try and give some tips for anyone either thinking of playing or just wanting to get more from it.

On a technical side:

MC can be very ram heavy, needs a good GB to run stable, though if you can dedicate 2gb+ then you wont have as many issues with slow down or 2step lag.

A person standing alone requires about 50-150mb of ram each. most of the load is associated with opening the chunk, land generation becomes moot after a while. So a minimum would probably be 75mb ram per person at max capacity however if it was busy that might be too low, if everyone were to run out and cause a lot of land to be made.

Clearly a fast harddrive is better, a seperate one for the server from windows best still. The maps are saved as a lot of little files, so fast random seek time and burst is a better option than purely high throughput. This is being rewritten, soon a new map format will be deployed which will make it several large files instead. (Hopefully this wont kill old maps)

Server Management Side:

Bukkit is brilliant! Far more stable already than Hey0 and a much better mod format for the large numbers of plugins.

WorldGuard and WorldEdit (Bukkit plugins) are superb. They allow you massive control over your map. Select a region and define an owner, or group of owners who are the only ones who can build there. Judicious use can help the kids make a safe area, but don't give them too much safety, after all, that's no fun. However it does allow them to build something and not have it griefed. You can also use it to save/protect anything they make which is particularly awesome.

Most importantly for WG is the disbale fire/lava spread option, and the ability should you choose to disable the use of any item/block you may desire. So no forest fires destroying the entire world, no massive lava pools lagging up the surface etc. You can still catch fire, spread it to other people, die to it, but it wont ruin the world. Creeper nerf. This is a debateable option, some like it, some do not! Creepers still kill, and explode, but 5 seconds after the server will rebuild the destroyed area. Personally I love this option. Makes them far less frustrating but still dangerous enough.

Essentials (Bukkit plugin) is the other mod I use. It does what it sounds like! Adds some great commands that the kids can make use of. Adding colours to names, /sethome and /home (like a hearthstone in WoW) as well as the /spawn command, so they can build a base and actually make it their home. They love that. In game mail (actually I disabled that) is possible..too much to list really. The /kit command is great, you can define item lists to grant to players on command (with a chooseable cooldown) such as basic wooden axe, spade, some candles etc. Enough to get them going but not enough to warrant relying on it.

The other great thing about Bukkit is it fixes the railcart bugs, making it much much easier to design tracks, shows how much ram each person is using, how much was freed up when a player leaves etc. It's just all around great. Had no stability problems, this week we had 18 people playing and it didn't crash, with mobs, monsters, the works all running. We don't even have it on a great machine, just an old P4 with IDE ( o.O ) looking to upgrade it sometime. It's dedicated so not too much of a problem yet.

I'll leave my stories of playing the game for another post as this is already long enough now!

Oh and before I do leave it, a guy took the linux TinyCore distro and trimmed it down a bit more, loaded it with essential MC admin tools and called in MineOS. It's overhead is a mer 50mb ram leaving the whole machine to the server. I'm trying it out on another machine today, will let everyone know how it works out. The potential is nice though, and it's meant to be easy to virtualize and give a ramdisk etc. Using a ramdisk can lead to immense speed boosts, especially regarding chunk load time, but being volatile you have to be certain it is 100% ready for the hammering of many players!

Thank Post
    Think its worth giving bukkit a go zerohour?

Been looking through the plugin list and there seem to be a lot of nice ones out there Bukkit Plugin List

On a side note I noticed yesterday anyone running xfire messenger with minecraft will display the server ip/port. I disabled the detection of it on mine in case any griefers see it

Thank Post
    It might be worth waiting a few days, as Bukkit just did the multiworld upgrade, and while it has been mostly smooth many addons still aren't updated for it, and some errors do occur, a bad addon could cause corruption of your main world when a command gets put through to the wrong one, with hell bleeding in and other weird stuff.

The best addons and worst bugs should be sorted by even as soon as then end of the week, next week at latest.

I can offer you a zip of the latest previous versions prior to the update, but not until I get home.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries

Does this look familiar to any of our black ops players?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information