+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Installation help in Projects:; As my name states, I am in no way a tech person. However, my high school is small and needed ...

Thank Post

Installation help

As my name states, I am in no way a tech person. However, my high school is small and needed a webmaster. Here I am. I have a hosting company and I tried to build a site from Joomla, but couldn't get it.

I've downloaded and unzipped the website, but I still don't understand the installation guide.

1. How do I upload the contents of the site folder to my web server? I'm using lunarpages.

After that, I just go to explorer and put in our website in the address box and the rest will be a step by step?

Thanks for helping!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

In your welcome email from LunarPages did they provide you with FTP Details?

You need these details so you can use an FTP Client to transfer the files into your webspace (WWW Directory or/ Public_HTML Directory)

Once you have done that if you browse to the webspace, you will be prompted to start the installation and then you just follow the wizzard.

Make sure that you have created an SQL Database via your Lunar Control Panel before starting as you will need this information when going through the installation.

Hope that helps, if you get stuck just say

Regards,

James.

Thank Post
    Is the webserver Apache/Linux or IIS/Windows?

It says on the website that there is a joomla script you can run, presumably from the web interface. This should set everything up for you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sparky is right actually, make it easier run the script which appears to be available for you (should find it in the control panel)

Personal and Small Business Hosting at Lunarpages-Low Cost Web Hosting < they are saying Joomla is available.

James.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the help! I've now got the template installed on my Joomla, but I was hoping that it would be pre-installed with menu's etc. like the demo that I could just change the names. Is there a way to get this?

Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a link to your website?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishTeacher View Post
    Thanks for the help! I've now got the template installed on my Joomla, but I was hoping that it would be pre-installed with menu's etc. like the demo that I could just change the names. Is there a way to get this?

Thanks again!
    Like the edugeek demo? Or do you mean just the joomla demo? If its the latter there may have been an option to "install sample data". It may be that the script doesn't allow that.

If its the edugeek one;
    FTP all the files from the html folder of the package to the www/html folder of your website.
    Create a mysql database using the web host control panal.
    Goto http://<your-web-address>/install --iirc, its documented in the manual, it may be "install.php"
    Follow the onscreen steps adding your database details you created and as provided by the web host control panal.
    Once complete delete the "install" folder using your FTP client.
    Using the admin interface of joomla, set the permissions.

Done

Thank Post
    As someone once told me when I was starting out with Joomla have a read here and be prepared to mess things up! I lost count how many times I installed and reinstalled Joomla. Its probably best to do a local install using WAMP and follow these instructions and have a play get to know how joomla works

Thank Post
    I went to site>libraries>joomla and ftp'd the html folder to the *site*/www/libraries/joomla/html folder that already existed there. I just put the additional files in the folder.

Now my site gives me an error that I've used the allotment of space. I'm going to instead of adding the files, I'm going to overwrite the whole folder.

Hope this works.

Thank Post
    Without seeing your site I can't say for sure but I don't think thats in the right place. It should be just in <site>/www/ I'd expect the library bit is just for pre-provided scripts.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread