+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Differing users roles in Projects:; Hi all, I'm in the process of setting up a new website for our school using Joomla! 1.5.15. The first ...

Thank Post

Differing users roles

Hi all,

I'm in the process of setting up a new website for our school using Joomla! 1.5.15. The first thing I did was to try to get LDAP working for the logins, which I've done after quite some mucking about. My next step which I can't even begin to figure out is what people can do once they've logged in! I'd like to keep it simple to begin with, for example I'd like staff to see one list of 'Links' and students to see a different list. Maybe one day in the future it can become more complicated so students can have 'shared areas' where they can upload stuff to do with a lesson, and their relevant teacher can also see it. Is the idea of them getting to their 'My Documents' possible? Presumably I'd need to start going down the HTTPS route for this? How about getting to their emails? We already use OWA. Sorry, getting carried away there......

In case you need to know, we're hosting the website on a Windows Server 2003 which is in the same domain as the LDAP server, the 'My Documents' server etc and it's running Apache and mySQL and is accessible from the outside world.

Any help greatly appreciated

Stuart

Thank Post
    Joomla 1.5 does not offer much control at all for usergroups. This is a major part of 1.6 which should be out towards the end of the year or summer as they are close to the first beta. There are some addons which are okay but not great in my opinion and if you are looking for free things, nothing really good then. 1.6 is going to be a massive leap forward and allow you to really control things how you are wanting which you really can't do in 1.5.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread