+ Post New Thread
EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package Thread, Backup and transfer in Projects:; Am I right in thinking that when it comes to backing up a Joomla site it's just the httpdocs folder ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Backup and transfer

Am I right in thinking that when it comes to backing up a Joomla site it's just the httpdocs folder I need to take a copy of?

I have 2 sites currently for a school, one being an older one that was built by a web developer and a new one in Joomla. Both hosted on a SWGfL Plesk advanced Linux hosting package. I now need to transfer the new site to the old site after ensuring a back up has been stored of both. Is it a case of simply ftp'ing the new sites httpdocs folder over the old one?

Are there premissions that need setting before attempting the transfer if that's right?

Thank Post
    No the database of your installs need to be backed up also.

In the case of joomla you can use the add on joompack to do this.... practice it once on a test server using instructions.

3. Thanks to mossj from:

speckytecky (4th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Gulp!

Thanks Duke, - also sent as a PM to Duke).

Wow! I have been living dangerously, just taking a copy of the httpdocs folder and thinking that was all that was needed.

Foolishly I haven't a test site - yet. Just set up XAAMP on an old server to start one but haven't had time to give it a go.

Any advice on how I could quickly sort my issues out would be hugely appreciated - HT wants the site live by the end of next week which will involve? SWGfL tell me that it's simply a case of copying the live HTTPDOCS folder from the develop site into the existing site - my gut tells me that isn't right?

I am building sites (trying) for the 2 schools I work in. The other one I borfed completely by trying rto upload a template and Docman which screwed something up and now I get the site face saying it's under development but when I try to access the admin page it comes up with the log on box but then brings up an empty web page not the admin console.

Regards - Geoff

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Any advice on how I could quickly sort my issues out would be hugely appreciated - HT wants the site live by the end of next week which will involve? SWGfL tell me that it's simply a case of copying the live HTTPDOCS folder from the develop site into the existing site - my gut tells me that isn't right?
    Your gut is right...

File based sites can be backed up like that BUT joomla is not filebased (the content is in a MYSQL DB). You need to ask SQGfL if they have MYSQL/PHP otherwise joomla won't work.

then
    download and install JoomlaPack - Joomla! Extensions Directory

use the kickstart to install it on a test server (just to get the process right, shouldn't be any issues)

Your old site is proberly file based (.html), so just backup how you have been doing. Then do what you did on your testserver.

6. Thanks to mossj from:

speckytecky (8th December 2009)

Thank Post

JoomlaPack

I second JoomlaPack. It's awesome. I install it on every site I put up.

8. Thanks to farmeunit from:

speckytecky (8th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread